[Frameworks] more sour grapes

DOMINIC ANGERAME dominicangerame at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 3 09:45:11 CST 2011

That's a very good point. It could be that the paradigm of Film Festivals has
also become obsolete and cannot compare to the virtual screenings of You Tube,
etc.  Filmmakers now have the opportunity to exhibit the work without the need
for  festivals. Festivals are great for screening on a large screen with a local
public audience, however, if a filmmaker cannot attend the festival and
experience being a part of that, then it all becomes a very virtual experience
for the artist. Is this worth the entry fee? Sometimes I wonder.

I just received a correspondence from a filmmaker friend of mine. We both  had
shows in Boston as part of an exhibition. Neither of us could attend nor were we
offered financial recompense. As a result I have no idea what his film is about
and visa versa. What is the point of me hearing that my piece is being shown
publically as part of a festival without any feedback from those who were in
attendance, the curators or the venues. This is far different than having a
filmmaker's work shown in a classroom situation. If I am to pay to enter a Film
Festival it is only fair to expect to receive some sort of correspondence from
them.

I received no promotional materials about the Boston screening. No posters, no
photos, no correspondences, and no reports as to how the film was received.

Granted one cannot attend every festival and neither can festivals invite
everyone chosen to be shown.. However the important thing is that festivals need
to deal with the film artists with respect and not just one of the "thousands"
or "hundreds" that have entered. It is just shabby treatment and filmmakers
should not tolerate it.

If this is the present state of festivals and screenings, then we are really in
trouble.

DA