[Frameworks] Festivals vs Touring

jack at jacktext.net jack at jacktext.net
Thu Mar 3 18:48:12 CST 2011

Some points here, a 30" film is - for some festivals - an issue, if its programmed in a 'shorts' selection program most shorts are 10minutes, so do you program a 30 minute film then effectively 'lose' 2 shorts, or do you program it with a feature making a session potentially last 2+ hours?  FYI we screened several 30 minute shorts, but not all festivals can. This may not be an issue to most filmmakers here, but there will be short filmmakers who make 10 minute films who will complain if you program a 30 minute short.

Something else to consider about festivals, a film may be rejected not because of the film but because of the overall program... (I'm sure I said this in a previous post).

Touring is always good, indeed essential, but its not a case of either / or. Filmmakers should engage in festivals, tours, special screenings, four-walling cinemas, dvd distribution and online distribution.

Regarding audiences, at Revelation our audiences are growing, last year was massive, and thats true of pretty much every festival I know. So yes it is still a way to meet audiences and distributors.

Jack