[Frameworks] cross processing Plus X reversal

John Woods jawoods01 at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 7 22:10:26 CST 2011

I usually over expose one stop when cross processing Tri-X or Plus-X. But I
always hand process my own when doing this and thus have more control over
developing. I would recommend you talk to the lab doing the cross processing if
they have any advice.

The reason I overexpose is because of the nature of reversal film. In reversal
film because you are bleaching away the negative and a second developing creates
the positive, so you actually want the initial image (the negative) to be thin
so that in the second development you will get a nice dense image. Consequently
when cross processing it makes sense to overexpose so you get a dense negative.
However, having said that I shot many early rolls in an automatic camera that
were cross processed with fine results. Its really a bit of opinion & experience
in what you want to get out of a film when cross processing.

I've got some recently shot Plus-X film that I accidently underexposed by a
stop. I had intended to get a lab to develop it normally but I think I will do
it myself now probably as a negative after some snip tests. I've never
deliberately underexposed Plus-X before so it will be interesting to see what I
get, but I'm sure I will have something to work with.

John