[Frameworks] Looking for writing on cinema and the body

Bernard Roddy roddybp at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 12:33:58 CDT 2011

Great topic, Jon, and indeed huge.  I don't think Marks would accept that an eye
can be "untutored."  Such a conception of vision divorces it from the body's
corporeal and cultural history, and in her book The Skin of the Film she focuses
on intercultural cinema in order to explore a vision that draws on these
different cultural and sensory pasts.  The other notion of "haptic vision"
discussed in relation to film that I have encountered is Guiliana Bruno's.  In
her book Atlas of Emotion such vision has more to do with a "tender mapping" of
architectural space.  Marks is great on artist's film and video, while Bruno
only gets as far as Alain Resnais.  And Marks is theoretically quite
substantial, whereas Bruno is charmed and poetic, dancing through beautiful
threads between here to way over there.

Bernie