[Frameworks] haptic correction

Bernard Roddy roddybp at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 14:01:29 CDT 2011

Oh wait, Bruno has a chapter on Greenaway, too.  At any rate, Bruno resists the
critique of optical vision that Marks develops in Skin.

Bernie

Great topic, Jon, and indeed huge.  I don't think Marks would accept  that an
eye can be "untutored."  Such a conception of vision divorces it  from the
body's corporeal and cultural history, and in her book The  Skin of the Film she
focuses on intercultural cinema in order to explore  a vision that draws on
these different cultural and sensory pasts.  The  other notion of "haptic
vision" discussed in relation to film that I  have encountered is Guiliana
Bruno's.  In her book Atlas of Emotion such  vision has more to do with a
"tender mapping" of architectural space.   Marks is great on artist's film and
video, while Bruno only gets as far  as Alain Resnais.  And Marks is
theoretically quite  substantial, whereas Bruno is charmed and poetic, dancing
through  beautiful threads between here to way over there.

Bernie