[Frameworks] other Brakhage films using natural objects

Mark Toscano fiddybop at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 10:34:32 CDT 2011

And actually, all the material in Horseman comes from various printings of the material originally created for Eye Myth.  Eye Myth itself is 35mm, about 9 seconds, and does have at least a couple of moth wings and other things embedded in its paint (this is what Stan is technically referring to in his Horseman blurb).  The original for Horseman is entirely dupe material, not actually painted and appliqued itself.

After reducing to 16mm and creating Horseman, Stan also step printed it in a series of pre-determined repetitions and called it Eye Myth Educational.  I don't have my notes handy, but he did something like step printing Eye Myth 1:1, then 4:1, 3:1, 2:1, 1:1 - that, or something like that.  Only sometime in the late 1970s (if I remember right) did he actually print the original hand-modified 35mm roll 1:1 in 35mm (making an internegative and prints).

Mark T