[Frameworks] Time lapse at the town hall in Birmingham

Kevin Timmins on-one-2 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 05:12:46 CDT 2011

brilliantly helpful ken, thanks so much!
Kev

From: kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com
To: frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:17:46 -0700
Subject: [Frameworks] Time lapse at the town hall in Birmingham

I've shot a lot of Kodak Vision neg stocks with the Canon 1014XLS, and it should already be notched to go, 'natch. I used the in-camera meter, and I believe the stock has something like a 6 stop latitude (3 either way) so you should be good to go.  But if you wish to be super precise, be sure to set the shutter angle on your hand-held meter to reflect that of the 1014XLS. Don't recall what is off the top of my head, but it's listed in either the front or back of the manual. Remember, there is a button with a little window icon that let's you open or close down the shutter angle a bit so you will have to choose the proper angle to plug into your meter accordingly.
Lastly, when shooting time-lapse, I suggest making a conscious choice between keeping the camera on auto or manual aperture. The former means the aperture will automatically shift the f-stop to account for the relative amount of light entering the lens the moment before the camera shoots a frame. For the latter, you may wish to choose a mid-range f-stop that will neither result in the shot being too dark or light at a given point, depending on how the light changes. Remember: the light is always changing, often imperceptibly to the human eye, but not the camera eye. Then again, some of us are hyper-conscious of every minute change. I've found that doing time-lapse is a great way to cultivate a critical eye for light.
So scout the location first to see what the arc or trajectory of light is over the course time you anticipate shooting, and choose your f-stop accordingly--for manual. If auto, then just let it fly. One thing I always liked about doing time-lapse on manual aperture is that the light shifts are more dramatic. But then I was privileging the shifting of light as the subject, rather than documenting other activities in a given space.
Good luck! Ken
www.crookedbeautythefilm.com  (Academic)www.crookedbeauty.com  (Public)www.kenpaulrosenthal.com