[Frameworks] 16:9 vs 4:3

Kevin Timmins on-one-2 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:28:18 CDT 2011

I just wanted to say I've really enjoyed reading this thread and I'm glad I started it. I think DV, Super 8, HD are all great mediums and are routed into our culture historically in very unique ways that vary for each of us. It's strange that for me DV was the medium I grew up with and super 8 is something wonderful I found later whilst studying at uni. I had to hunt super 8 down and go on outings to nowhere in London to find out how it all worked! I really had no clue when I began about 5 years ago. Because I grew up in this DV age mechanical film just seemed alien to me. I mean I understood the basic principles but the layered stages of producing the images just baffled me. I was like right I stick this plastic cartridge in this camera... What! I can't look at the images I've shot straight away? There is no rewind button? I wont know what I've shot until it's developed? Come again I've just spent £12 for 3 minutes of film I can't even watch back? Ok then how do I develop this stuff then? I purchased my own developing stuff and got stuck in... chemicals go in, images come out! Amazing! But hang on I need a projector... Went and got one. Fired up my film and was truly delighted by the results! Now how do I get it on my computer to edit? Telecine? Can I do that myself? No, not really, well not if you want the images to look any good anyway. Send them off to be digitized and then finally it's editing time!
It is funny now thinking back how confused I was when I started with film. But that cheap and easy to produce DV world that I grew up in just put up a smoke screen! I love super 8, and I love the process! All I need to do now is build my own telecine machine and I have it all at my fingertips! I'll have to start a new thread about DIY telecine....
But, thanks to all who added to this discussion! Kev