[Frameworks] 35mm film will be dead by 2015 and News Corp

Steven Gladstone Steven at gladstonefilms.com
Fri Nov 18 15:07:16 CST 2011

On 11/18/11 2:38 PM, Aaron F. Ross wrote:

> So, the flicker of analog celluloid projection is a desirable
> feature? Get real.

> Likewise, the idea that a good print guarantees a good projection is
> equally ridiculous.

Aaron, I believe that there is a difference in the experience of
watching film projected as opposed to electronic projection.

I believe that part of that difference is that you sit in the dark for
half the time, and in that "space between the frames" it is where Cinema
lives. Yes there are 2 and three bladed shutters that break the 24 fps
into 48 and 72 flicks per second, there is still black moments in there
which are not noticed, but make a difference as compared to not having
ANY moments without images bombarding your retina and brain. You don't
have to believe that, it doesn't shake my view of the universe if others
do not agree with me.

Some people find Gate weave to be desirable, I'm not really one of them,
as long as it isn't heinious or distracting, it doesn't really bother me
(except for credits - uggggh.)

As far as the prints, the point to make is that with a print - if it is
a good print, you have eliminated many variables that exist in
electronic projection.

The potential Bulb problems exist for both. However there are far more
adjustments available to an electronic cinema projector that will affect
the image than a film projector. Which was my point.

I don't expect film projection to survive as the mainstream form of
distribution, there are too many other factors that favor electronic
distribution.

There are positives and negatives to both.
--
Steven Gladstone
New York Based Cinematographer