[Frameworks] Projectors to Europe aka Frequency Troubles

Ekrem Serdar ekremserdar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:40:55 CST 2011

Hi Can,

  Thanks, but I'm unsure if that specifically is all that I need; while a
transformer would allow the projector to actually power, that doesn't solve
the frequency issue. US is 60 hz, and Europe is 50 hz; according to one
person<http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/single-phase-frequency-converters-50-60-hz-226230/>,
showing something at 24 fps would actually be more like 20 fps.
  That being said, I did find a
thread<http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21410>that
says that the alteration could be done... the Pageant doesn't have a
50/60 thing, it's straight 60 hz based on the manual... I don't know, I'm
going to lug it anyway...
  If anybody has any recommendations regarding alterations, do let me
know...

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Can Candan <can at cancandan.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How many watts does your Pageant need? I might have a transformer you can
> borrow while you're in Turkey.
>
> Can Candan
> Istanbul
>
> On Nov 24, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Ekrem Serdar wrote:
>
> > Hey folk,
> >
> >   I am planning to take my 16mm Pageant over to Turkey this week, but I
> just found out about this whole frequency business when taking projectors
> over to Europe - aka the projector running slower due to 50hz, especially
> noticeable for films that have sound.
> >
> >   A brief look around the interwebs shows that frequency converters are
> ridiculously expensive, but also that sometimes machines can be altered to
> show on 50hz, which sounds like an ambitious undertaking.. hm, what do you
> all think?
> >
> > --
> > ekrem serdar
> > austin, tx