[Frameworks] Forbes editorial about Kodak

Mark Longolucco mark at squeaky.org
Sat Oct 8 22:21:02 CDT 2011

> It doesn't matter if digital looks like film or not.

I would beg to differ that it is kind of the point- not as to why
artists choose to work in film, but for why film may not be a choice
for an artist anymore.

This issue with film's struggle to stay vibrant is that it is the
entire process that is losing footing. It's not just the celluloid
production, it's the chemicals, it's physical cameras, it's the
processing labs, it's projectors, the editors, it's everything. All
of these individual parts have to fight with the idea that much of
what can be done visually with film, can be mimicked with digital
cameras. Not just buy the companies that produce these things but
that the artist that will be using them. And while I understand
artists now can see the value of film and its physical differences
from digital "film", I have a hard time believing future artists will
feel the need to go through the processes of film or challenge an
idea that they might need to.

Few young or new artists that I know have deep pockets. As these
artists emerge and the cost (and hassle) of producing film increases
(not to mention a somewhat long and steep learning curve with film)
they'll turn to what they have access to and can afford. I have a
hard time believing it will be film they turn to. It will most likely
be the digital machine that most closely mimics film that can fit
their budget (it probably will also need to interface with their
stupid computer in some way).

Film is slowly losing it's most important part of the process- the
artist's demand. Really to me it's not about what the companies do,
what artists now do, or anything that has already been done; it's
about whether the artists in the future are going to want film. And
the idea that film can be mimicked, however correct or incorrect,
might be exactly what hurts film's chances the most. And the idea is
out there.

-Mark