[Frameworks] Article: The Last film camera

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Wed Oct 12 11:24:54 CDT 2011

It's an interesting article, and thanks for posting. However, I must ask - how many people on Frameworks EVER bought a new Panavision or Aaton camera? Does it really make any difference to us if these cameras are no longer manufactured? The experimental film community has worked primarily with second hand equipment, almost exclusively in what is known as "sub-standard" formats, since mid-20th century. I drive a Honda, and if Maserati stopped producing cars today it really would not affect my ability to get around town.

The ongoing obsession with hand-wringing over film obsolescence (inevitable, but not immediate) seems misguided to me, simply a waste of energy. If you look into the future, can you see that you will still have food to eat and water to drink? I loved Kodachrome and it is a pity that I can no longer process the few rolls I recently found in the bottom of a box in my studio, but that is not going to stop me from making motion pictures.

-          Tom Whiteside               Durham, NC