[Frameworks] eyemo question

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 20 01:07:47 CDT 2011

Eyemos are essentially 35mm Filmos -- bulletproof but limited by short spring running time and lack of a decent viewfinder.

2 perf not a likely conversion though some might exist.  You can find motorized crash-cam versions (someone in Vancouver used to make one) and some have Nikon mounts added, giving you affordable decent lenses.

For an affordable camera that is anamorphic-friendly, and can be found in a Techniscope version (2 perf, but not fully across the film) the Arri 35 IIc is a good choice.  Whlle the viewfinder has annoying baffles in it, it is reflex, and anamorphic viewfinder de-squeezers are available.  The Techniscope version is the IIc/T.  You probably want to find either a later version with Arri B mount (IIcB) or a hard-front version.

But both cameras are noisy.

Are you planning on finishing to film by printing, or digitally?  2-perf is very costly to finish photochemically unless you have an optical printer, 2-perf shuttle, and anamorphic printing lens.  Unless you need to shoot long takes or a lot of film, anamorphic will be cheaper to finish.

If you are finishing digitally, you might find that S16 works for you.  Cameras are smaller, quieter, and cheap -- and the lenses are cheap unlike 35mm glass because a lot of that has been snapped up for Red and other large-sensor digital cameras.

The best 35mm deal would IMHO be something like an older Arri 35BL -- quiet enough for sync shooting, better viewfinders, shoulder held (though heavy).  Another alternative is the Eclair CM3 -- not quiet but you can often find them with a Nikon mount on one of the turret holes.  Some versions could also shoot 2-perf and could shoot 16mm if you have all the right parts.

I guess the real question to ask yourself is why 35mm?

Jeff "not that there's anything wrong with that" Kreines

Aew-