[Frameworks] square corners

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Fri Oct 21 11:24:10 CDT 2011

Rob's brilliant question raises another point that has long interested me  - why don't we make/look at circular images? Lenses have always created circular images, but early photography put square corners on images (cut into the circles) in order to, one thinks, mimic the conventions of canvas stretched over frames. Yes there are a few round paintings and other shapes (walls of caves for starters), but the long history of image making has been all about arranging images inside the corners.

-          Tom

What frame ratio do people think is best for a painting and should it be cropped later to fit the ready-made picture-frame?

Rob