[Frameworks] square corners

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Fri Oct 21 12:28:42 CDT 2011

In some of his early writings Eisenstein argued for both "portrait" and "landscape" mode in films (and editing that would allow for both within the same work) and pointed out the possibilities of circular framing of motion picture images.

There are lots of examples of non-framed or differently framed works in projection based art, especially with multiple or overlapping projections; counter culture light shows (usually with live music) did this back in the 1960s (and a nod to Jordan Belson, RIP). I've seen Carolee Schneeman present Kitsch'e Last Meal as a two-projector piece with the projectors mounted vertically rather than the usual side-by side.

Photography editors and visual designers often think and work in terms of multiple and different sized/arranged images.  Even photo blogs like Tumblr offer a (standardized, cookie cutter) choice of grids for displaying a photo essay (or a gif essay for that matter).  I haven't noticed anyone playing with that or designing for it very creatively, but it's there as a possibility.

Chuck Kleinhans