[Frameworks] Digital -- was Re: 16mm camera repair & parts

edwin m ed___209 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 07:40:11 CDT 2011

mike figgis (from these parts) who is famous for preaching the virtues of digital, wrote extensively about the importance of learning on film equipment. he argued that the laziness (which isn't essential, but just always seems to come about) when stock isn't a problem can virtually wipe out any cost benefit of digital. so you might only have to pay for hard drives, but then you have to pay extra edit assistants to sit through the hundred hours of re-takes that you only shot because it was free.

i shot a film the other month and had a crew (!! - this doesn't happen often). apart from a couple of camera crew, many of them had never worked with film before, despite being professional crew with many years' experience. they were all insanely excited about it, and the weirdest thing was, not one person made a single mistake in the entire four-day shoot. and they all seemed sure that had never happened before - normally you try to stay quiet, find focus or not wander into frame, but it's not much of an issue.

i'm not saying any format or working method is better (though obviously i have personal preferences). but in terms of learning, i think it's widely understood by everyone from film artists to industrial employers, and virtually all undergrad students, that there's a serious benefit to having worked on film

edwin