[Frameworks] Dance films

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Fri Sep 2 01:29:23 CDT 2011

Also, Shirley Clarke made dance films on video (using early video effects)
in the early 1970s when teaching at UCLA.  I think the only way to access
those if through Wendy Clarke.

Also, there are multiple dance film festivals around the world.  In Los
Angeles, there is Dance Camera West each June.  They include probably 20-40
films each year from around the world (shorts and features), and some number
of them (probably at least 5 a year) are reasonably interesting as
experimental films as well.  So there is ongoing new dance films ­ not much
of a crossover in viewing audiences, it seems to me, between the dance film
world (attended mostly by dance fans) and the experimental film world.  But
it wouldn¹t be a total waste of your time to contact some programmers from
dance film festivals (Lynette Kessler at Dance Camera West for one) and ask
for suggestions.