[Frameworks] Opening tonight 6-9 ; works by Jonas Mekas, Peggy Ahwesh, Andrew Lampert, Su Friedrich, Martha Colburn, James Fotopoulos, Bradley Eros, Michel Auder and others

LBurchill elle.burchill at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:42:54 CDT 2011

Hi All,

Some of you might be interested in our exhibition which opens TONIGHT in
Brooklyn featuring works by 12 artists working with moving image. The
centerpiece is a projected video program of (almost) all new and
never-before screened works. There are of course  also artworks (including
drawings made for a film by James Fotopoulos, video sculpture by Bradley
Eros, collage by Martha Colburn, painting by Nick Zedd, Polaorid prints by
Peggy Ahwesh, etc etc). Below is the more official announcement and the full
video program. I hope those of you in the NYC stop by tonight to help us
celebrate our first year.. The exhibit runs through SUNDAY October 2. More
info: www.microscopegallery.com

Independence Returns

September 9 to October 2, 2011
*Opening Friday Sept. 9 6-9PM, many artists will be present*

*MICROSCOPE GALLERY, 4 Charles Place (on Myrtle btw Bushwick & Evergreen
Ave), Bushwick Brooklyn, 11221; tel: 347.925.1433, J/M/Z Myrtle-Broadway; L
- Morgan Ave or Jefferson Street*

**

*featuring works by:*
Peggy Ahwesh, Michel Auder, Agnes Bolt, Martha Colburn, Raul Vincent
Enriquez, Bradley Eros, James Fotopoulos, Su Friedrich, Andrew Lampert,
Jonas Mekas, Allison Somers, and Nick Zedd

INDEPENDENCE*,* Microscope Gallery’s inaugural exhibit, returns to kick off
our second year with an exciting line up of new works by emerging and
internationally recognized artists. All of the artists have previously
exhibited or screened at Microscope and some will also be featured in the
upcoming season. With nine exhibitions and over seventy screenings and
performances behind us, our focus continues to be on presenting film, video,
sound, performance and other time-based artists of uncompromising artistic
vision.
The twelve artists in *Independence Returns*, many who have been working for
decades, are fearless risktakers, who do what they do without regard for
current trends or expectations. As a group they are best known for their
work with moving images, including several experimental filmmakers who have
revolutionized the medium. Each also works with other media and their
drawings, paintings, photographs, collage, installation and other works will
be on exhibit along with a projected video program.

*PROJECTED VIDEO PROGRAM*, approx. 80 minutes
constantly screening on loop

**

*When*
*Jonas Mekas, 16mm film transfer to video, color, silent, 2 minute 23
seconds, 1968, w/ Robert Kramer*
The world premiere of a film made in 1968. With appearance by the filmmaker
Robert Kramer.

**
**
**
*Do You Love Me ?*
*Michel Auder, video, color, sound, 10.5 minutes, 2011*
A just completed video of haunting intensity and beauty by one of the
masters of no-holds-barred personal video. Auder allows the footage from
different eras to overlap and interplay to create a multi-layer window on
his present and his past. “Do You Love Me?” Is it a question he is asking or
answering?

**
**

*Man and Rock* (excerpt from a new feature length work-in-progress “Gut
Renovation” 2012)
*Su Friedrich,* *Digital video, color, sound, 7 mins, 2011*
This excerpt, “Man and Rock,” is a somewhat comical depiction of a battle
between men and nature. The men are the workers in a construction site
across from my former home. The nature is an extraordinarily large piece of
schist, the bedrock of New York. The battle took many days. The men won. –
“Gut Renovation” (working title) is a feature length documentary about the
transformation of Williamsburg, Brooklyn from an affordable neighborhood to
a glass and steel canyon of massive, expensive and often ugly condos. – SF

**

*Island*
*Allison Somers, Super 8mm transfer to video, b&w, silent, 2 min, 2011*
Filmed on location on Büyükada island, Istanbul, Turkey, leisure and
landscape conflate on a single reel of super 8 film.

The Internet is Porn

*Agnes Bolt, video, color, sound, 4 minutes 45 sec, 2011*
The video takes you through a typical day at the office, especially
exploring the humor and perversion of Internet surfing.

Knot 4

*James Fotopoulos, digital video, color, silent, 13 min 45 sec, 2007*
In 2007 I made a series of eight videos titled “*Knots*” – I imagined them
as a combination of personal dream or memory knots along a rope and
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s *The Red Wheel*. In four of these videos I
digitally re-worked footage of historical significance = the Saddam Hussein
execution (*Knot 3*), Ronald Reagan assassination attempt (*Knot 4*),
Yitzhak Rabin assassination (*Knot 5*) and *Der ewige Jude *(1940)* *(*Knot
8*). In the two assassination videos, *Knot 4* and *5*, I digitally enhanced
and slowed the original footage = the first phase of the examination. Then I
isolated shapes from the treated video and re-drew them into further
abstraction with crude digital software = a second deeper phase of the
examination = a probing or x-raying of the footage. In my recent feature *Alice
in Wonderland* (2010) I would use this technique again, minus the software,
by isolating parts of Lewis Carroll’s photographs and re-drawing them with
charcoal and graphite. — James Fotopoulos

**

*My Cat gets an Aura Reading*
*Peggy Ahwesh, video, col, sound, 1 min, 2011*
My cat Claude was recovering from a car accident that nearly killed him and
I thought it would be interesting to have his aura read. I wanted to see how
he was feeling psychically and test for trauma or unhappiness. Fortunately,
the cat seemed to be fine and pretty healthy. — P A

Aurora Borealis

*Bradley Eros, 16mm film transfer to video, color, sound, 12 minutes, 2002*
An homage to two lyrical surrealists of the cinematic collage, Joseph
Cornell and Jean Painleve. Made entirely of science & nature footage,
through a process of subtracting the original expository devices, and
emphasizing the oneiric beauty and confusion of scale, where the microscopic
is analogous to the astrologic, and the insertion of unexpected diversions
and creatures creates nocturnal associations and uncanny perceptions. A work
more alchemical than clinical, focused on decay and regeneration, with a
hypnotic soundtrack by Messiaen. – BE

Moving Image #1

*Raul Vincent Enriquez, DHTML, PNG Image, Web Browser, Duration 02:18, 2011*
This is my first attempt to translate my new DHTML/HTML5 moving image work
over to HD video. Special thanks to Maggie Hoffman of Radiohole.

Reversal Bennetton

*Andrew Lampert, 16mm-on-video, color, sound, 5 minutes, 2011*
While browsing at the Chelsea thieves market in 2004, Andrew Lampert blindly
purchased multiple hours of raw camera footage from a mid-90s Benetton ad
shoot. He immediately embarked on a life-long project to use every single
frame of film found in those cans. REVERSAL BENETTON is another addition to
this ongoing series, and features music performed by Lampert.

**

*Dolls vs Dictators *
*Martha Colburn, originally in 16mm, color, sound, 11 minutes, 2010*
Commissioned by the Museum of the Moving Image, Queens NY, to inaugurate its
new Video Screening Amphitheater, DOLLS VS DICTATORS is based on Colburn’s
photographs of the Museum’s unparalleled collection of dolls, toys, and
other licensed merchandise.

**
The Birth of Zerak

*Nick Zedd, video, col, sound, 5 minutes, 2011*
Caesarean birth of Zerak Zedd in Mexico City