[Frameworks] Analog and digital

Amanda Christie amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca
Thu Sep 15 22:05:18 CDT 2011

i am late to the discussion here... just a quick note to add my few
cents.

A)  when I think analog and digital, the first thing that comes to
mind is that analog = analagous ...  and that an analog process is
like a straight or curved line whereas a digital process is like a
series of steps.  (imagine a fantastic drawing or diagram of each
here).  I won't explain anymore , because others have done so much
more eloquently already in the preceding discussion.

B).  FLICK!  FLICK HARRISON!   what an amazing reply... I love it!  I
read the whole thread and I think your response sums it up nicely.  I
know that in "frameworks-digital-e-communication-land" sometimes our
exchanges have been on the more contentious side... but you often post
great things, and I usually only reply to the things that incite
contestation... and I want to make sure to reply to the things that
make me go "YEAH!" as well.  so ... "YEAH!"   and I always enjoyed our
in-person discussions back in Vancouver... and yeah... I just wanted
to quickly post and say that I enjoy your frameworks posts too... even
though often my responses only get typed in moments of "HEY WAIT A
MINUTE!"   rather than in moments of  "YEAH!"  ... so needless to
say... this is a moment of "YEAH!"

which seems to relate to many other threads I read tonight (I had over
400 emails to catch up on).... that seems to be a trend among many of
us on the list...

C) (on frameworks listserv itself... notsomuch on digital vs analog)
I assume (and probably I shouldn't assume anything) that many of us
have lots on the go, and read what we can, when we can, from the
list.... and occasionally something strikes us and we write "HEY WAIT
A MINUTE!!!!"   and often it comes late at night after marking too
many essays or drinking too much whiskey... and it seems good and
coherent at the time.... then someone else on the list reads it a few
hours later in a different state of mind and then they write... "HEY
WAIT A MINUTE"  .... to something we didn't even intend after grading
all those papers and drinking all that whiskey... and before we know
it, there is a whole new thread on feminist films shot on discontinued
kodak stocks processed in coffee and transferred to video and
projected on 3D DLP projectors with 3 blade shutters and it goes on
for days... and oh my god!  (wait... where was I?).... oh yes....
this listserv.  I think it is amazing!  I think we sometimes take it
for granted.  We get annoyed with threads that we aren't interested
in.  We sometimes respond flippantly or perhaps carelessly to things
that excite our passions in certain states of mind. And amazing
discussions result from the places we least expect.   (when I say
"We"  I don't necessarily mean "ALL" of us... but I know that "I" do
this... and I think can I safely say that I have observed some of you
do it too.).  And I think it is wonderful, in the fact that incredible
discussions wind up resulting from the most unlikely places (this
thread is not one of them... but I am on a tangent here... and it
feels like a good one... so I'm gonna run with it).... (where was I?)
oh yes!  Frameworks... the listserv... the other thing... the
archive.... many of us write these comments and responses in various
states of mind... knee jerk reactions and passionate replies...
sometimes forgetting... that it all gets archived.... every one liner
sarcastic response... every snippy come-back... every jab... every
dig... every deep philosophical question... every technical chemical
formula... every list of films and authors to look into... it gets
archived.... so on one hand... we (c)should perhaps be more cautions
and conscientious before putting keystroke to screen (i am writing
this as much for myself as for anyone else)... but at the same time...
i think it is a marvelous and wonderful thing that all of these
spontaneous emotional reactions and replies get archived for however
long the harddrives will store these digital (non-analog) bits of
data... for the researchers and historians to come.  it is
simultaneously frightening and incredibly beautiful!

(i am on a train right now, and have had a bit to drink while reading
through 400 frameworks messages... so it's a bit of an overload...
hence that last bit... but yeah... i mean... YEAH!)

adc

Amanda Dawn Christie
506-871-2062
www.amandadawnchristie.ca