[Frameworks] Flicker Films

Andy Ditzler andy at andyditzler.com
Wed Apr 25 15:17:03 CDT 2012

If I remember correctly, Andrew Noren's Imaginary Light (1995) has a
regular flicker pattern for a substantial part of its length (approximately
thirty minutes).

Consider Andy Warhol's early silent films - the required projection speed,
16 or 18 fps, introduces a slight flicker (very subtle in comparison to
what we would consider "flicker film"). Warhol's "strobe cuts" in later
films such as Nude Restaurant (1968) and Lonesome Cowboys (1969) are a
different kind of flicker effect.

I like the Newsreel Collective logo which appeared at the beginning of
their films, accompanied by the sound of a machine gun - flicker in the
service of the revolution.

Brian Frye's Lachrymae (2000) is a nice counterpart to "flicker" films - as
I believe Fred has pointed out elsewhere, the onscreen fireflies are an
evocation of film projection.

Andy Ditzler
Atlanta, GA
www.filmlove.org