[Frameworks] 16mm --> HD --> 16mm

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Thu Aug 2 01:55:58 CDT 2012

Hi Jodie,
I had problems too - on my feature documentary, the sync drifted in
FCP for no apparent reason, and we had a lot of tweaking to do in
Cinema Tools. I was told that this is the fault of FCP which does not
handle 2K very well, but I was assured by experts that if I had done
it in Avid I would have had no problem. But you may save a headache
and make an SD transfer, cut and print the film neg and simply HD
telecine your answer print.
I had a similar problem on a 12-minute 16mm film that my friend
insisted on cutting digitally and timing to a precise sound track on
FCP. We cut the work print to conform to the video, threw it up on
the steenbeck with the digital track synced on ProTools (steenbeck
and mac are hardwired to stay in sync), but the cues did not line up.
So we made a mag track, tweaked the cut to lock exactly, cut the neg
accordingly and printed from that. In that case however her video
edit can still serve as a master.
In both cases we got the final result we wanted and it didn't cost
extra, but I think we wasted three times as much time.
Sorry to disappoint, but film is physical, frame for frame, locked to
the sound, nothing can go wrong.
-Pip