[Frameworks] Super 8 camera recommendations?

David Dvorchak david at as220.org
Thu Aug 2 10:10:38 CDT 2012

Thanks for all the tips!

So far, I was gifted a Minolta Autopak-8 d6 and given a dirt cheap price on
a Canon 814xl. Can't wait to start testing!

On Monday, July 30, 2012, Mike Kartje <mkartje at siu.edu> wrote:
> I own a Minolta XL400 and Canon 512, and both are - or should I say
"were" - fine cameras: the features that make them nice are some of the
first things to fail. Internal metering and manual aperture control became
unreliable and eventually stopped working all together. Shutter release
becoming erratic is also a concern. Still usable cameras, just not as
"feature-filled" anymore. Used cameras like this, unless professionally
cleaned & serviced, will have accumulated 30+ years of grime and corrosion,
so the chances for a manual aperture control/etc. not working (or failing
over time with a lot of use) are pretty high.

> I was gifted Rollei SL 85 - a re-badged Bauer - and think its the best of
the lot. Basic features and built like a tank. My kind of camera. Feels
like it could be dropped off building and it'd still keep clicking away (I
am curious but not willing to test this).

> Mike Kartje
>

> On 07/29/2012 09:17 PM, Steve Polta wrote:
>
> The Canon 814 XL-S and the Canon 1014 XL-S are great cameras, although
the "S" (for sound) is superfluous at this moment in history. Note that
these are completely different (and superior) machines from the Canons 814
and 1014 that do not bear the "XL-S" tag. The Nikon R-10 is also a really
interesting camera that has a lot of really cool options for
super-impositions. I think it's the camera Paul Clipson uses if that holds
any significance...

> Steve Polta

assume Beaulieus, stock or rebuilt, are out. I'd say it hard to do better
than the various iterations of Canon 814 and 1014. For something cheaper
than that, you might look at a Sankyo, but I think they're not quite as
reliable as the Canons. Minoltas don't have much in the way of features,
but they should work pretty well...

> My thoughts are largely based on now distant recollections, I'm sure
other folks will have recs about cameras they're using right now, which
means they've held up quite some time past their dates of manufacture and
expected life of service.