[Frameworks] PacLab's approach to customer service.

Tom Whiteside tom.whiteside at duke.edu
Sun Aug 26 08:32:32 CDT 2012

It starts before the lab! Every roll of film you ever bought had a disclaimer on it - if there was something wrong with the film, even if it was the manufacturer's fault,  the manufacturer's liability was limited to replacement of that film, only. You could not (successfully) sue them for the cost of the set you burned for the shot, the hundreds of plane tickets purchased to get cast and crew to that location, the millions of dollars you had to pay to get the "stars" back for a re-shoot, etc.

In each case - film manufacturing and lab processing - it makes sense. "But that was the last picture of my grandfather before he died!"  "Well, we can give you a replacement roll of film." It is a harsh reality.

Tom                  Durham Cinematheque