[Frameworks] flickering

Buck Bito buck at vtc-sf.com
Mon Dec 3 12:51:21 CST 2012

Hello Franco,
The question doesn't seem banal to me, but just a bit difficult to provide
your answer. Flickering in my experience is originated in-camera either
from a shutter problem or from fluorescent lighting (or another modulating
light source). It is realized by having adjacent frames with differing
exposure but I don't know of a way to achieve that mechanically in a
projector. Since the shutter wheel makes a complete revolution for each
frame, any modification to the shutter should affect all frames equally...
I imagine the only way would be to have a modulating light of some sort
(strobe?) to augment the standard projection lamp. Perhaps something like
a strobing LED bicycle light could be placed in the lamphouse to
accomplish that. I would worry of it melting quite quickly, but if it is
upwind of the normal lamp in the cooling airflow, it might work... I'd be
curious to hear if this or another method provides the effect you're
looking for.
---Buck Bito, San Francisco