[Frameworks] Film cleaning before telecine

Kevin Timmins on-one-2 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 06:25:34 CST 2012

Hi frameworks,
As some of you may know I've been setting up a HD 8mm telecine service this month at Gauge Film. We're waiting for the unit to arrive so we can set it all up and do some tests before offering a service. I just wondered if any of you have any advice on cleaning film before putting it through my telecine machine.
Firstly, will film that has just been processed need to be cleaned or can it be put straight through?
Secondly what's the best way to physically go about cleaning it? I have heard some people use the lomo tanks to clean film, others us the reels on a projector and some kind of cloth, wiping it as it goes past. Any info at all would be great (I haven't a clue on film cleaning). This is going to be an affordable service so trying to keep costs down is a priority. We need to strike a good balance between cost and excellent quality.
All the bestKevin