[Frameworks] Hand Processing using D-76 for Tri-x (Reversal) 7266

Robert Schaller robert at ontosmedia.com
Mon Dec 10 18:11:41 CST 2012

Paolo,

The D-19 formula can be found here:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/data/kodak_d19.php

or in Kodak publication H-7 "A Guide for Processing Black & White Motion Picture Films", which I have on paper but can't find online (anyone?)

D-76 would be a disappointing reversal developer, because it's fairly low-contrast and doesn't yield a very high maximum density.

If you wanted to doctor some D76 (rather than mixing D19 from scratch) you could add 3g/l Hydroquinone and about 50 g/l of washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) and that might work -- washing soda is widely available as a laundry detergent aid.  The Hydroquinone you could get through Photographer's Formulary if you have time to order it.  If you have Potassium Bromide, add 5g/l.  Then it's basically D19.  Hydroquinone and Potassium Bromide might get through customs...

Or, you could try adding the Washing Soda (obtained locally) to the D76 as is to raise the pH, and that might do the trick -- I don't really know!

Or, you could try something like 1 1/2 strength D76 with Sodium Carbonate.

If you mix it up yourself (say, in baggies to make 1 gallon), make two baggies per batch: one for the Metol and Hydroquinone, mixed together, and one for everything else.  The Metol and Hydroquinone go bad fairly quickly when mixed with a base (like Sodium Carbonate or possibly even Sodium Sulfite).

But if customs aren't a problem, just bring the ready-made packages of Kodak D19 powder.  This is by far the easiest thing to do! I checked some to Jamaica a couple of years ago, and it was fine.  What are your limitations?

-Robert