[Frameworks] new critical studies film course in car culture

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Fri Dec 14 17:01:21 CST 2012

I already mentioned this to Bryan but thought I’d share it with the list, regarding luxury and fantasy cars from the 1930s. Cocteau put several in Orpheus, and there’s a neat one in Topper. And in another world, the custom racer in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman. Then there’s the James Bond cars, and one could link the drag race in Rebel Without a Cause, with the re-enactment of James Dean’s fatal crash in “Crash.” In fact, Crash is just as iconic as Two Lane Blacktop as a Car Imaginary, and a thousand times more interesting. The opening sequence of “Written on the Wind” is another indelible auto wet dream.