[Frameworks] new critical studies film course in car culture

Rory Brosius rikimaru75 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 15 12:30:44 CST 2012

Good morning all.
Here is a few that might qualify (sorry for any repeats):
"Crash" (1996 - David Cronenberg)"Christine" (1983 - John Carpenter)"Gone in Sixty Seconds" (1974 - H. B. Halicki)"Gone in Sixty Seconds" (2000 - Remake - Dominic Sena)"Trucks" (1997 - TV Movie - Chris Thomson)"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986 - John Hughes)"Grease" (1978 - Randal Kleiser)"Viper" (1993-1994 and 1996-1999 - TV Series - Creators: Danny Bilson,and Paul De Meo)"Knight Rider" (1982-1986 - TV Series - Creator: Glen A. Larson)
Virtually any James Bond film
These might qualify, but they border more on car chase/action films/road films:
"Ronin" (1998 - Jon Frankenheimer)"Bullitt" (1968 - Peter Yates)"The Italian Job" (1969 - Peter Collinson)"Death Race 2000" (1975 - Paul Bartel)"Two-Lane Blacktop" (1971 - Monte Hellman)"Duel" (1971 - Steven Spielberg) "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior" (1981 - George Miller)
Any of the "Fast and the Furious" films.
All supplementary info was confirmed with IMDB so it should be accurate. As for reading, there is one title I can confirm is solid from what I have read of it:
The Automobile in American History and Culture: A Reference Guide (Michael Berger)
You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Automobile-American-History-Culture-Reference/dp/0313245584/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355595109&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+l.+berger
Brian, an interesting segment of of your overview might be to explore the objectification of women in cinema when compared with nearly every car commercial ever made.
There is an interesting episode of AMC's "Mad Men" in which there is a pitch for the Jaguar advertising campaign that explores the birth of this concept in television commercial advertising. The scene actually jumps back and forth between the pitch and one of the main characters "Joan" played masterfully by Christina Hendricks. She actually has agreed to get her firm the advertising contract by sleeping with a Jaguar executive. The scene is quite tragic because the partners in her firm have actually considered letting her go through with it. The only one who actually comes to tell her not to, comes too late. A small moment, but it covers quite a bit with regards to the automobile, sex, sexism, and greed.
You can find it here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWzlUGQWWM
Hope this helps!
Have a great holiday.Rory BrosiusDate: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 08:47:04 -0700