[Frameworks] AV Festival 12 - Slow Cinema

Rebecca Shatwell rebecca at avfestival.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 10:13:39 CST 2012

Dear All

Please find info about the forthcoming AV Festival, with its thematic
focus on slowness. I hope some of you can make it. Half the screenings
take place at Star and Shadow Cinema which some of you may also know -
its the best cinema in Newcastle and has film lab too.

Best, Rebecca

AV FESTIVAL 12: AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE
1 – 31 MARCH 2012
AV Festival, the biennial international festival of art, film and
music, returns this March, for a full month. Taking the theme of
slowness, the Festival explores how artists and filmmakers have
stretched, measured and marked the passage of time. Visit www.avfestival.co.uk
  for more information.

SLOW CINEMA is the focus of the film programme celebrating filmmaking
devoted to stillness and contemplation, including over 70 hours of
film, and a Slow Cinema Weekend. Providing a retreat from cinematic
speed, these films create a more relaxed rhythm making us aware of
every minute and second spent watching. Across the month we present
regional previews, cult classics and undistributed debut features,
plus unmissable guest filmmaker appearances.

SLOW CINEMA WEEKEND: 8 – 11 MARCH
Welcoming some of the world’s leading filmmakers to Newcastle to
screen and discuss their rarely seen work. Representing the most
exciting cinema across Europe, Latin America, South-East Asia and the
UK by directors: Fred Kelemen, Lav Diaz, Lisando Alonso and Ben
Rivers. Highlights include the regional premiere of Bela Tarr’s last
film The Turin Horse, the UK premiere of Lav Diaz’s epic 8-hour
feature Melancholia and rare screenings of Fred Kelemen’s meditations
on late-capitalist Berlin. A Weekend Pass is available from http://tickets.avfestival.co.uk/category/film

FESTIVAL OPENING WEEKEND: 2 – 4 MARCH
The Festival Opening Weekend includes special guest appearances by two
of America’s most influential and critically acclaimed independent
filmmakers: James Benning and Sharon Lockhart. Both films show light
changing to reveal the hidden beauty of the American landscape - from
the mudflats of Maine to the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The screening of
Nightfall by James Benning is a UK premiere. http://tickets.avfestival.co.uk/

WEEKLY FESTIVAL SCREENINGS: 1 – 31 MARCH
The film programme runs throughout the Festival with weekday
screenings, providing an introduction to slowness and cinema from
across the world. Including special preview screenings of new releases
such as: Hors Satan by Bruno Dumont, Aurora by Cristi Puiu and Once
Upon a Time in Anatolia by Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Plus unmissable classics
like Russian Ark by Alexander Sokurov and Silent Light by Carlos
Reygadas. With our special Film Loyalty Card buy tickets for 4 films
and the 5th film is FREE.

FESTIVAL FILM INSTALLATIONS: 1 – 31 MARCH
Alongside our cinema programme, the Festival includes 12 exhibitions
by filmmakers and moving image artists, including: the world premiere
of One Way Boogie Woogie 2012 by James Benning; the UK premiere of
Milwaukee/Duisburg also by James Benning; and solo exhibitions of work
by Cyprien Gaillard, Torsten Lauschmann, Benedict Drew, Julien Maire,
Bob Levene and Elizabeth McAlpine plus week long screenings by John
Smith, Martin Arnold, Manon de Boer and Ben Russell.

KEEP IN TOUCH
If you need any help please contact us directly on +44 (0)191 227 5512
or email visit at avfestival.co.uk and see www.avfestival.co.uk. To
receive more regular news about the Festival please sign up to our e-
bulletin online.

Rebecca Shatwell
Director
AV Festival