[Frameworks] Andy Warhol's SLEEP / Providence, RI / Feb 18 / Magic Lantern + RK Projects

Eli Horwatt ehorwatt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 13:03:52 CST 2012

A funny story about the correct projection speed from Kelly M. Cresap's *Pop,
Trickster, Fool: Warhol Performs Naivete: *

Stan Brakhage, a pioneer in underground cinema, became enraged on seeing *Sleep
*and *Eat*, declaring that they were the work of a charlatan. On learning
that he had seen the films projected at twenty-four frames per second
instead of Warhol's preferred rate of sixteen-frames, he agreed to watch
the films again and then hailed them as transformative works on par with
his own.

Eli Horwatt
York University, Toronto
Ph.D. Student - Cinema & Media Studies