[Frameworks] Andy Warhol's SLEEP / Providence, RI / Feb 18 / Magic Lantern + RK Projects

John Matturri jmatturr at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 13 13:24:08 CST 2012

Not impossible that there was an offhand, perhaps even sarcastically
intended, remark that Mekas repeated or wrote down in his column and
which Brakhage just forgot making. Print has an odd power to take slight
anecdotes and give them a status beyond their initial intent. (My own
remembering, which may be accurate or not, is that Brakhage said that he
now saw the point of the film but still was largely unimpressed.)

But of course the real issue is whether the shift in projection speed
really does have the affect that the anecdote attributes to it. Neither
the authority of SB's statement nor his disavowal has all that much
relevance to that. Certainly there are instances where such shifts are
transformative -- Ernie Gehr's step-printing of the source of Eureka
--but it needs to be taken on a case by case basis. I've only seen
excerpts of Sleep, so can't judge.