[Frameworks] canyon in the news (bad news dept)

nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net
Mon Feb 20 01:36:04 CST 2012

Same in the UK, where humanities and arts students are now liable to pay full fees, £9,000, or around $13,500. per annum. Although that may (?) sound cheap to people in the USA, it has deterred at least 8% of potential applicants for the next academic year, which is the first year the new fees scheme is running.

For many years, thanks to a modest but crucial budget, I have hired a handful of films from LUX that really must be seen on film; Wavelength, Arnulf Rainer, Raygun Virus and a few others, including things that are only available on film (William Raban's Angles of Incidence, Steve Farrer's Ten Drawings). The rest I show on DVD and VHS. The availability of reproductions over the last twenty years or so has been a wholly good thing in terms of enriching the possibilities of introducing students to a wide range of work previously unavailable or unaffordable or both.

In my experience, students fully appreciate the difference between original and reproduction, film and video, once it's been explained. Furthermore, there has been a significant increase here in students wanting to work with film, especially Super 8.

Nicky Hamlyn.