[Frameworks] more on the Academy

Jason Halprin jihalprin at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 11:16:29 CST 2012

But I'm guessing Lucas was also influenced by Frank Capra, John Huston, and Charles Dickens. Should he be faulted for not offering one penny to those folks?

If any one of us chooses to make Avant-Garde work it is largely a choice to derive value from the work itself, not to expect payment or adoration from the mainstream. And, that said, we can all cite mainstream, narrative work that has influenced us too. As part of a much larger web of cultural influences, artistic, commercial, spiritual, cultural, and all of the above. One can choose to be bitter about those who make work that has mass appeal and whether or not they acknowledge and fund the fringes, or one can focus on your own tastes and work...and how own might expand the public awareness of the fringes. I choose the latter, and I sleep much better.

-Jason Halprin

 From: Francisco Torres <fjtorrespr at gmail.com>:

George Lucas was a big admirer of Arthur Lipsett since his days at USC citing him as an influence  yet when he made millions in 1977 he did not offer one penny to him. Lipsett died destitute some ten years larter. That is Hollywood to you.