[Frameworks] 16mm stills in LA

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 3 12:12:37 CST 2012

I was recently recanning a large amount of 16mm reversal original, and wanted to capture frames just to get a sense of what was on each roll.

I had a cheap Panasonic Lumix camera with macro capability, and found that if it was 32mm (two 16mm cores) from the film over a lightbox I could get surprisingly decent frame blowups. Don't add a loupe, just find any digital still camera that has a macro mode and decent lens.  This one was under $150 at Costco a year ago. Leitz-branded lens, not that it was made in Wetzlar.

You can use the cores to align the lens, which is very simple and fast.

Good luck!

Jeff Kreines