[Frameworks] push processing advice needed

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 8 11:53:12 CST 2012

Processing reversal as negative in this case is not a good idea for one simple reason:

Underexposed reversal is dense, and you can push light through it.
Underexposed negative is nearly clear, and you can't do much with it.

Pushing over two stops is likely only going to decrease the d-max which will not help you.  Long ago we tested a 5-stop push on 7242, which pushed 3 tops very nicely. But there's a limit for each stock, and after that the blacks just thin out.  That will make it less likely to be able to print up the dense original.

Find a lab that does a true two-stop push (some have been known to push everything 1.5 stops for convenience) and then see what you have. If there was really no light at all you may not have anything useful on the film. If you are lucky, there might be an image that can be recovered to some degree.

But sadly, it ain't magic!

Jeff Kreines