[Frameworks] Film about an artist

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 2 13:58:17 CDT 2012

On Jul 1, 2012, at 10:53 PM, Shumona Goel wrote:

I was wondering if you may be able to suggest films that have been made about artists for us to watch and learn how others have handled this tricky subject.

Chuck Kleinhans

Since you indicated that you are still learning your craft and this is to be a short project, let me suggest this, in contradistinction to the fine (but feature length for the most part) films other s have suggested.

It is almost always interesting to show the manual process of artistic creation.  This also gives you a logical narrative "spine" for the film: beginning to end, inspiration to completion, etc.  You can thus show the activity of art making and use a voice over from one or more  separate interviews to inform in a verbal way.  If the artist makes similar work you may be able to shoot at several different times which lets you cover something that may not have gone well in an earlier shoot.  Especially for new filmmakers, it's a lot better to do a project about a repeated event (city symphony, etc.) that lets you go back for  B roll, etc.  than a unique event (the one championship game).

Chuck Kleinhans