[Frameworks] Interesting (?) Question

Peter Mudie peter.mudie at uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 09:49:20 CDT 2012

That flatbed Moviola would have cost around $8000 in 1980 (an upright one around $1500 - $2500); a set of rewinds (single reel) about $200; a gang-sync around $650 and a tape splicer around $250; a 'baby' Steenbeck (4 plate, 1 x pix/I x snd) around $4-5000; a 6-plate (1 x pix/ 2 x snd) around $12000 – all second hand. Moviolas tended to need a lot more maintenance than the German Steenbecks (which, once you got the belts/gears right after a move would run for decades) - the upright Moviolas were much more durable than the flatbeds. I preferred the Becks over the Moviola, but had an upright one that went forever (but bot my Becks are still running fine)

Hope this helps – I bought a bunch of second hand gear around 1984 after a big money cinematography gig.
Peter

Whatever the cost, ADD SHIPPING.  Of course now they are free, “you pick up.”