[Frameworks] Media Player Quality?

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Fri Jul 6 18:29:07 CDT 2012

Generally speaking, Quicktime is always better. It is
memory-inefficient and not multithreaded, but highly accurate in
terms of render quality and random access. There have been some bugs
with H.264 video levels in Quicktime for Windows, but I believe those
have been fixed. No problems on OS X or iOS as far as I know.

Windows Media Player is an embarrassment. Media Player Classic and
VLC are mediocre replacements, but at least on Windows you get to
tweak some of the options. For example, you may be able to choose the
OS codecs, or the codecs internal to the player. In the hardware
driver settings (display control panel), you may be able to
enable/disable hardware acceleration. You may be able to choose a
dynamic range, either 0-255 or 16-235 (studio IRE). These choices may
make the difference between your video looking good or not.

Needless to say, it's crucial to calibrate your display device for
brightness, contrast, gamma, and color temperature.

Aaron