[Frameworks] wide angle projector lens?

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Mon Jul 9 13:40:32 CDT 2012

> thanks scott.
> what do you mean by the mirrors?

If you look at a typical rear projection system, they will often have a
projector pointing into a mirror, pointing into a second mirror pointing
into the screen.

This allows you to effectively increase the total throw to the screen
when you don't have the space to do it directly.

This was very popular for small commercial theatres shoehorned into shop
spaces back in the sixties and seventies (and that mostly means porno houses
but also includes art houses and the occasional all-surf-movie theatre).
I don't know of any current theatres using these systems other than the
Brattle up in Boston.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ritterbin/3330731537/

The booth at the Brattle is a major pain in the neck, you can't see a damn
thing out the porthole.  I don't know how they manage to run anything in focus
at all.

Draper makes some single-mirror and double-mirror systems intended for
small video projection systems which might be adaptable.

http://www.draperinc.com/projectionscreens/RPX.asp

The RPX has the projector down below, pointing into a mirror, which gives you
perhaps an additional four feet of throw .  In addition you gain a foot or two
since the mirror can be located closer to the wall than the front of the
projector could be.

I think you could use this with a front projection 16mm system, although with
only a single mirror the image would be reversed for front projection.
--scott