[Frameworks] Film and Digital for beginners

Aaron F. Ross aaron at digitalartsguild.com
Sat Jul 14 19:57:20 CDT 2012

Pip, my understanding is that old-school analog video had about seven
stops of latitude. Current generation digital video cameras have
about nine stops of latitude. If you shoot in RAW, then you
effectively get the same latitude as film.

Digital cameras and projectors are not really linear. There are many
stages of gamma compression and expansion in the signal chain from
image capture to presentation. The system is designed to produce an
image that looks "linear" to the viewer. But, of course, the
characteristic S-shaped response curve of film is easily reproduced
in the digital grading process. If you're seeing clipped whites and
muddy blacks in a digital projection, someone wasn't doing his job correctly.

Aaron