[Frameworks] 16mm Splicer

todd eacrett hellbox at agit-prop.com
Sat Jun 2 22:22:08 CDT 2012

The blades and punches can be sharpened, and they mostly likely will
need it if you buy a used splicer. Disassemble it and take the blades
and punches to a place that sharpens saws and industrial cutters. But
explain to them what and how it cuts. The punches need to be ground
from the inside of the little V to maintain the outer profile. The
blades should be ground from the outside, with minimal bevel on the
inside faces.

Clean the rest with acetone to remove the tape gunk.

The actual film plate in the base of the splicer is the other half of
the cutting surface, but it wears less than the blades and punches if
everything is properly aligned. If the edges of the plate and/or the
perf holes are excessively worn, you'll never get a clean splice.

The blades are spring steel, slightly curved to align with pressure to
the base plate. Dullness is more of an issue there than alignment. As
the baseplate wears to less than 16mm, the blades just take a wee bit
of film off with the tape. If the perf holes in the plate are
oversized, you can't make the punches bigger. Just pick the hanging
chads off with tweezers.

I have one of the double sided 16mm splicers I will probably never
use... If anyone needs it, make me an interesting offer.

Cheers,

Todd Eacrett
Victoria, BC, Canada