[Frameworks] Re-submitting to Festivals

Ken Paul Rosenthal kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:06:23 CDT 2012

While I'm well aware that re-submitting one particular film to a given festival is almost universally prohibited (not to mention a waste of money), I've been reading a lot lately on the practicalities of curating a shorts program in terms of length. Hence, I'm inspired to reconsider something I've long pondered--that my 30 minute film, Crooked Beauty was rejected by many 'apparent shoe-in' fests because of it's length. I know there are numerous factors that govern acceptance/rejection: from personal taste to curatorial theme to nepotism to student pre-jurors pre-empting work to the flood of submissions--not to mention whether or not the dvd screener played in the juror's computer. I recently shortened my film to 20 minutes in order to qualify it for two particular festivals whose maximum TRT was that length. So all said, I feel moved to re-submit to Sundance, Slamdance, SXSW, and the Oberhausen International Shorts Festival. (I really really want to re-submit to Ann Arbor, which has screened every film I've ever made and rather bizarrely rejected this one--and with no explanation whatsoever when I inquired via phone). I've skipped a season since entering the first three fests in my list, and wonder if it's worth my re-submitting the shortened version, clearly stating the shorter length. I've yet to review these festivals' rules and regulations, but am curious in general how folks feel about this, and what their experiences have been. This note is not about sour grapes, as CB has generally done rather well. It's an honest inquiry, so I'd appreciate the responses being respectful and practical. Thanks, Ken

www.crookedbeautythefilm.com  (Academic)www.crookedbeauty.com  (Public)www.kenpaulrosenthal.com