[Frameworks] This week [June 9 - 17, 2012] in avant garde cinema

Weekly Listing weeklylisting at hi-beam.net
Sat Jun 9 12:45:31 CDT 2012

This week [June 9 - 17, 2012] in avant garde cinema

To subscribe/unsubscribe to the weekly listing, go to
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/mailto.pl?mailto=subscribe
or send an email to weeklylisting at hi-beam.net.

Enter your announcements (calls for entries, new work, screenings,
jobs, items for sale, etc.) at:

http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl

NEW FILM/VIDEO: NON-FEATURE:
"The Huntington IN MOTION" by Kate Lain
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=newwork&readfile=499.ann

MISCELLANEOUS:
Intensive Non-Fiction and Narrative Film Workshops
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=misc&readfile=125.ann

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
=====================
London Film Festival (London, UK; Deadline: June 22, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1452.ann
Mossadegh Is My Homeboy (USA; Deadline: June 30, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1453.ann
Kuala Lumpur Experimental Film & Video Festival 2012 (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Deadline: July 20, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1454.ann
The 8 Fest (Toronto, Canada; Deadline: September 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1455.ann
MONO NO AWARE VI (Brooklyn, NY USA; Deadline: October 31, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1456.ann
The Journal of Short Film Volume 28 (Columbus, Ohio, USA; Deadline: July 14, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1457.ann
Beloit International Film Festival (Beloit, WI, US; Deadline: October 31, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1458.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
======================
SFC - Shoah Film Collection (Cologne, Germany; Deadline: July 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1389.ann
Cologne International Videoart Festival (Cologne, Germany; Deadline: July 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1392.ann
Indie Memphis Film Festival (Memphis, TN, USA; Deadline: June 20, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1401.ann
YoungCuts Film Festival (Montreal, Quebec, CANADA; Deadline: June 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1414.ann
Videoholica (Varna, Bulgaria; Deadline: June 30, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1417.ann
Oblò Film Festival 2012 (Lausanne, Switzerland; Deadline: June 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1418.ann
animateCOLOGNE - Cologne Art & Animation Festival (Cologne, Germany; Deadline: July 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1426.ann
Abstracta (Roma, Italy; Deadline: June 30, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1429.ann
Greentopia Festival (Rochester, NY, United States; Deadline: July 02, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1438.ann
Antimatter Film Festival (Victoria, BC, Canada; Deadline: June 29, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1441.ann
L'Alternativa, Barcelona Independent Film Festival (Barcelona, Spain; Deadline: July 01, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1442.ann
New Jersey Young Film & Videomakers Festival - NEW DEADLINE 6/25 (Jersey City, NJ, USA; Deadline: June 25, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1443.ann
videoholica (Varna, Bulgaria; Deadline: June 30, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1445.ann
Plug Projects Film/Video Series (Kansas City, MO.; Deadline: June 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1449.ann
INFRARED 3: Queer Avant-Garde Films (Seattle, WA, USA; Deadline: June 15, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1450.ann
London Film Festival (London, UK; Deadline: June 22, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1452.ann
Mossadegh Is My Homeboy (USA; Deadline: June 30, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1453.ann
The Journal of Short Film Volume 28 (Columbus, Ohio, USA; Deadline: July 14, 2012)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1457.ann

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

Also available online at Flicker: http://www.hi-beam.net

THIS WEEK'S PROGRAMS (SUMMARY):
==============================
 *  Alberto Grifi and Massimo Sarchielli's Anna [June 9, Brooklyn, NY]
 *  Circa, 16mm Films By Katherine Bauer. [June 9, Brooklyn, New York]
 *  Occupy Zeitgeist video/Art Exhibition [June 9, Fresno, California]
 *  Essential Cinema: Joseph Cornell Program 1 [June 9, New York, New York]
 *  Intonations From the Parallel Stream [June 9, Oakland, CA 94612]
 *  Essential Cinema: Joseph Cornell Program 2 [June 10, New York, New York]
 *  Early  Monthly Segments #40 = Monday June 11 =  Marie Menken + Ute
    Aurand/Ulrike Pfeiffer [June 11, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
 *  Essential Cinema: James Broughton Program 1 [June 13, New York, New York]
 *  Essential Cinema: James Broughton Program 2 [June 13, New York, New York]
 *  Charismatic Megafauna W/ Live Film Score & Medusa Smack [June 13, Seattle, Washington]
 *  Urban Overload + Serdar's 5 Solids [June 14, Austin, TX]
 *  Robert Nelson Tribute Screening #1 [June 14, Los Angeles, California]
 *  M.M. Serra Program [June 14, New York, New York]
 *  Recent Works By Grahame Weinbren [June 14, New York, New York]
 *  Steve Cossman: Direct-Er's Cuts [June 15, Austin, TX]
 *  The Beauty Is Relentless: the Short Movies of Emily Vey Duke and Cooper
    Battersby Book Launch & Screening,	Emily Vey Duke & Cooper Battersby,
    In Person! [June 15, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
 *  Double vision: Comics & Animation [June 16, Chicago, Illinois]
 *  Direct-Er's Cuts Films Created By Direct-Filmmaking Methods [June 16, Houston, Texas]
 *  How To Be A Homosexual: Films of Roger Jacoby [June 16, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Essential Cinema: Conrad/Jacobs & Fleischner Program  [June 16, New York, New York]
 *  L.A. Filmforum Presents Nightwatching, By Peter Greenaway – Los Angeles
    Premiere! [June 17, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Essential Cinema: Eggeling & Cavalcanti Program [June 17, New York, New York]

Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.

----------------------
SATURDAY, JUNE 9, 2012
----------------------

6/9
Brooklyn, NY: Light Industry
http://www.lightindustry.org/
3pm, 155 Freeman Street

 ALBERTO GRIFI AND MASSIMO SARCHIELLI'S ANNA
  Anna, Alberto Grifi and Massimo Sarchielli, video, 1972-1975, 225 mins,
  Introduced by Dennis Lim - Shot in 1972, first shown in 1975, and newly
  restored by the Cineteca di Bologna, Alberto Grifi and Massimo
  Sarchielli's Anna is an astonishing nearly four-hour documentary about a
  16-year-old homeless junkie, eight months pregnant, whom the filmmakers
  discovered in Rome's Piazza Navona. Mainly shot on then-newfangled video
  (which at times gives the black-and-white images a ghostly
  translucence), it documents the interactions between the beautiful,
  clearly damaged, often dazed teenager and the directors, who take her in
  partly out of compassion and partly because she's a fascinating subject
  for a film. - Far from straightforward vérité, this
  self-implicating chronicle includes reenactments of the first meeting,
  explicit attempts to direct its subject, and frequent intrusions from
  behind the camera (not least the emergence of the film's electrician as
  a love interest). Anna cuts between long, often discomfiting domestic
  scenes (including an interminable delousing in the shower) and equally
  protracted café discussions back in the square, where the unruly
  cross talk among hippies, bums, bourgeoisie, and angry young men touches
  on the movie's key themes of obligation and intervention: between
  filmmakers and their subjects, the state and its citizens, fellow
  members of society. - An end-of-the-1960s document with the scale and
  intimacy of Robert Kramer's Milestones, Anna also marks the birth of our
  media age, not just demonstrating the obsessive immersions of a new
  technology that, as Grifi put it, "makes life filmable," but also
  embodying the uneasy dawning awareness of what that means. It's a film
  born on a cusp, as an urgency to change the world yielded to an urge to
  record it. - DL - Tickets - $7, available at door. - Please note:
  seating is limited. First-come, first-served. Box office opens at
  2:30pm.

6/9
Brooklyn, New York: Microscope Gallery
http://www.microscopegallery.com
7PM, 4 Charles Place (at Myrtle btw Bushwick & Evergreen Aves)

 CIRCA, 16MM FILMS BY KATHERINE BAUER.
  Admission $6, filmmaker in person. We are very pleased to welcome
  filmmaker Katherine Bauer to Microscope for a solo evening of her 16mm
  films. Bauer has divided the night into two sections. The first "Furies"
  features seven short films depicting " the conjoined fates of
  civilization, wilderness and desire fading into one another, where the
  familiar transforms into the bizarre and the bizarre is brought close
  again…". The second half of the program, "Cystallus," includes a
  selection of segments of her continuing apocalyptic sci-fi horror epic
  of the same name. PROGRAM; Part 1: Furies -Ichor (2007) color, 3min.
  Vanitas (2009) color, 3min. Circa (2009) color, 7min. Death Love (2011)
  color, 10 min. Arcade Isle (2011) color, 8 min. Domestic/Vortex/Thrust
  (2010) black and white, 6 min. 39.8280,-76.0121 (2012) black and white,
  3 min. Part 2: Crystallus Crystallus: Astral Erotic Impact Phase (2012)
  color, 13 min. Crystallus: Discontinuity and Nucleation Phases (2009)
  black and white and color, 12 min. Crystallus: Crystal Death Phase
  (2011) color, 6min.Katherine Bauer works primarily with 16mm film and
  its material potential for sculpture, photography and installation. Much
  of her work involves mythologies, folklores, and narratives. The
  celluloid of film gives bodily presence to these narratives and enacts
  their themes of decay, eroticism and horror. Katherine received a BA
  from Bard College where she majored in Film and Electronic Arts. She is
  currently working on a MFA from NYU in Studio Art where she also teaches
  16mm filmmaking. She is on the Board of Directors at the Filmmakers
  Cooperative and member of the film collective Optipus. full program
  notes and more info at www.microscopegallery.com. tel: 347.925.1433,
  nearest subway - J/M/Z - Myrtle/Broadway or L - Morgan Ave or Jefferson
  Street.

6/9
Fresno, California: Gallery 25
TBA, Gallery 25, 660 Van Ness Avenue, Fresno, CA 93721

 OCCUPY ZEITGEIST VIDEO/ART EXHIBITION
  The Occupy Movement began with a simple question, "What is your one
  demand?" From that singular question, a grass roots phenomenon known as
  "Occupy Wall Street" became the growing face and voice of the people of
  the United States. The movement swept through our country and spread to
  sites across the world. As OWS moves into spring with plans to continue
  and expand on its initial momentum and message, we (Diran Lyons and
  Janice Ledgerwood) marveled at how OWS is changing the landscape of
  memes, the currency of conversation and of poetry, and wondered at how
  artists are responding to that (re)evolution. We decided to organize an
  exhibit and call it Occupy Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is a German word for
  which there is not an equivalent word in English. It is defined as "the
  spirit of the times" or "the spirit of the age." Zeitgeist is the
  general cultural, intellectual, ethical, spiritual, and/or political
  climate within a nation or even within specific groups, along with the
  general ambiance, morals, sociocultural direction, and mood associated
  with such a time, era, or group. When reduced to its initials, Occupy
  Zeitgeist becomes OZ, the fanciful place of Frank Baum's famous
  allegory, which seems particularly appropriate and timely. Indeed, a
  critical interpretation of The Wizard of Oz by Henry M. Littlefield
  (http://www.amphigory.com/oz.htm) reveals an economic and historical
  context that is similar to our current situation. "Pay no attention to
  the man behind the curtain!" we are told over and over again. And, for a
  long time, we didn't. For a long time we were all asleep, content with
  what we had (or thought we had) … an illusion of security, freedom, and
  choice.... But we are awake now and we have a message for those who wish
  us to sleep again, those who would suppress, repress, and oppress the
  99% and the smaller Occupy Movement: I met a traveler from an antique
  land Who said: "Two cast and trunkless legs of stone Stand in the
  desert. Near them, on the sand, Half sunk, a shattered visage lies,
  whose frown, And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command, Tell that its
  sculptor well those passions read Which yet survive, stamped on these
  lifeless things, The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed: And
  on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of
  kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing besides
  remains. Round the decay Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare The
  lone and level sands stretch far away." Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe
  Shelley A Call for Entries We are seeking art from various Occupy
  encampments as well as art and design inspired by OWS. It is our vision
  to create an interactive, multi-media, participatory exhibit that
  resembles an Occupy village. We are looking for: • Tents as art forms •
  Paintings, sculptures, photography, produced by individuals or
  collectives • Digital files of posters to create a looping slideshow •
  Poems that can be performed by our local poets • Performance art
  Simultaneously, we are organizing a film and video festival to accompany
  the exhibition. For the Occupy Zeitgeist (OZ) Video Festival, we are
  looking for short and full-length documentaries and remix videos of any
  length. The parameters for both the exhibit and the video festival are
  inclusive, as Occupy has addressed a wide range of issues. The work can
  directly relate to the Occupy sites that have generated extensive
  documentary footage or collections of art. It could address the
  corruption of Wall Street, the banking system, the NDAA, SOPA/PIPA, the
  1% or issues of privilege, the plight of the 99% during the economic
  downturn, the depletion of civil liberties, etc. There is no entry fee.
  However, participating artists must pay for their own shipping to and
  from the exhibit. This applies to both the exhibition and the video
  festival. The Occupy Zeitgeist (OZ) Exhibition To submit any tangible
  artwork (see below for video and film), please send jpeg files to the
  following address: Occupy.Zeitgeist.Exhibition at gmail.com. If you are
  submitting performance work, please send a YouTube or Vimeo link of the
  proposed piece to the aforementioned address. Please include your name,
  title of the piece, and a short description of the work. If you have any
  questions, we would enjoy hearing from you. There is no limit to the
  amount of artwork that can be submitted by an individual or collective,
  but do understand that there are limits to the physical gallery space
  and that not all artwork will be accepted. The Occupy Zeitgeist (OZ)
  Video Festival To submit video or film for consideration (YouTube, Vimeo
  links only), please send them to the following address:
  Occupy.Zeitgeist.Festival at gmail.com. Please include your name, title of
  the piece, and a short description of the work. If you have any
  questions, we would enjoy hearing from you. There is no limit to the
  amount of videos that may be submitted by an individual or collective,
  but do understand that there are limits to the time we have to showcase
  the videos and films and that not all of them will be accepted. The
  festival will feature invited video works by Andy Baio, Elisa
  Kreisinger, Martin Leduc, Corey Ogilvie, Erik Nelson, Adam Quirk, and
  The Yes Men. The program will also include the feature length
  documentaries by Dennis Trainor, Jr. and "The Occupy Movie" (by Andrew
  Halliwell, Maziar Ghaderi, and Corey Ogilvie). The Calendar • March 15 –
  April 15: please submit your artwork, film, or video for consideration •
  April 25: notifications send to all • May 30: all accepted entries must
  arrive to be included • May 31 – June 6: installation • June 7,
  5:00-8:00 pm: Occupy Zeitgeist (OZ) opens at Gallery 25, 660 Van Ness
  Avenue, Fresno, CA 93721 • June 9, 16, and 23: Occupy Zeitgeist (OZ)
  Video Festival premiers (times to be announced) • June 30: final day of
  the exhibition • July 7: return of artwork Please feel free to share
  this far and wide.

6/9
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
4:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: JOSEPH CORNELL PROGRAM 1
  Unless otherwise noted, all films are silent. ROSE HOBART (1939, 20
  minutes, 16mm, sound) COTILLION (1940s-1969, 8 minutes, 16mm) THE
  MIDNIGHT PARTY (1940s-1968, 3.5 minutes, 16mm) THE CHILDREN'S PARTY
  (1940s-1968, 8 minutes, 16mm) CENTURIES OF JUNE (1955, 10 minutes, 16mm)
  AVIARY (1955, 11 minutes, 16mm) GNIR REDNOW (1955, 5 minutes, 16mm,
  photographed by Stan Brakhage) NYMPHLIGHT (1957, 8 minutes, 16mm) A
  LEGEND FOR FOUNTAINS (1957/65, 17 minutes, 16mm) ANGEL (1957, 3 minutes,
  16mm) The poet of magic realities. Pioneer of recycled (found) images.
  ROSE HOBART and the Trilogy (COTILLION, MIDNIGHT PARTY & CHILDREN'S
  PARTY) are some of the earliest collage films created. The others were
  directed by Cornell (and photographed by Stan Brakhage and Rudy
  Burckhardt among others) at some of his favorite locations. Total
  running time: ca. 105 minutes.

6/9
Oakland, CA 94612: Studio Quercus
8:00, 385 26th Street

 INTONATIONS FROM THE PARALLEL STREAM
  Night of Image and Sound, Paul Clipson / Collin McKelvey, Linda Scobie /
  John Davis, John Davis / Joshua Churchill

---------------------
SUNDAY, JUNE 10, 2012
---------------------

6/10
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
4:15 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: JOSEPH CORNELL PROGRAM 2
  All films are silent. BOYS' GAMES (1957, 5 minutes, 16mm) BOOKSTALLS
  (ca. late-1930s, 11 minutes, 16mm) BY NIGHT WITH TORCH AND SPEAR (ca.
  1940s, 9 minutes, 16mm) NEW YORK–ROME–BARCELONA–BRUSSELS (ca. 1940s, 10
  minutes, 16mm) VAUDEVILLE DE-LUXE (ca. 1940s, 12 minutes, 16mm) MULBERRY
  STREET (ca. 1957, 9 minutes, 16mm, with Rudy Burckhardt) JOANNE, UNION
  SQUARE (1955, 8 minutes, 16mm, with Rudy Burckhardt) CLOCHES À TRAVERS
  LES FEUILLES (ca. 1957, 4 minutes, 16mm) CHILDREN (ca. 1957, 8 minutes,
  16mm) Rare Cornell; more magic cinema from the master collagist.
  Variations of films made by Cornell, plus collage films discovered by
  archivists after his death. Total running time: ca. 85 minutes.

---------------------
MONDAY, JUNE 11, 2012
---------------------

6/11
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Early Monthly Segments
http://earlymonthlysegments.org/
8pm, Gladstone Hotel, Art Bar, 1214 Queen Street West

 EARLY  MONTHLY SEGMENTS #40 = MONDAY JUNE 11 =  MARIE MENKEN + UTE
 AURAND/ULRIKE PFEIFFER
  June's screening is a special occasion as we have obtained a very rare
  print of Marie Menken's  unfinished (and hence, virtually unknown) The
  Gravediggers of Guadix (1961). Marie Menken (1910-1970) holds a special
  place in the film pantheon as one of the earliest practitioners of
  personal filmmaking and her embodied camerawork was an influence on many
  filmmakers, from Stan Brakhage to Ute Aurand. In the same trip to Spain
  with Kenneth Anger in 1958 where she filmed the exquisite Arabesque for
  Kenneth Anger, Menken spent time with a group of monks devoted to
  burying the dead. The subject must have been a powerful theme for "a
  Lithuanian Roman Catholic fascinated by saints, monks and religious
  iconography" (as characterized by P. Adams Sitney) and the unedited
  Kodachrome camera rolls are gorgeous documents of her camera eye and the
  unique rituals of the monks that live in the sun-parched cave-village of
  Guadix. Ute Aurand and Ulrike Pfeiffer take embodied vision to its
  joyous extreme in OH! die vier Jahreszeiten(OH! The Four Seasons, 1988),
  which features the two filmmakers frolicking through the four seasons in
  Berlin, Moscow, Paris and London. Inspired by a Jonas Mekas quote on the
  intuitive power of improvisation that opens the film, the two filmmakers
  trade the camera back and forth, filming each other at play. Aurand runs
  around in the Berlin snow in a white dress and boots and swings a young
  boy around and around in Red Square before Aurand and Pfeiffer both
  dance in a Paris fountain and then dress up as angels in the London
  twilight. The music of Orff, Prokofiev, Piaf and Deller alongside the
  youthful spontaneity of the two filmmakers creates an exuberant ode to
  the changing of the seasons, the exhilaration of travel and the act of
  creation. Programme: OH! die vier Jahreszeiten (OH! The Four Seasons),
  Ute Aurand/Ulrike Pfeiffer, 1988, 16mm, Germany, 18 min. The
  Gravediggers of Guadix, Marie Menken, 1961, 16mm, USA/Spain, 45 min.
  silent @ Gladstone Hotel, Art Bar | 1214 Queen St West Monday June 11,
  2012 | 8:00 pm screening, $5 suggested donation

------------------------
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 13, 2012
------------------------

6/13
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: JAMES BROUGHTON PROGRAM 1
  THE PLEASURE GARDEN (1953, 38 minutes, 35mm) THE BED (1968, 19 minutes,
  16mm) NUPTIAE (1969, 14 minutes, 16mm) HIGH KUKUS (1974, 3 minutes,
  16mm) Four films by an American avant-garde film pioneer. His films are
  celebrations of the joy of living. If there is such a thing as American
  Zen, Broughton is the master of it. Total running time: ca. 80 minutes.

6/13
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
8:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: JAMES BROUGHTON PROGRAM 2
  THE GOLDEN POSITIONS (1970, 32 minutes, 16mm) DREAMWOOD (1972, 45
  minutes, 16mm) Total running time: ca. 80 minutes.

6/13
Seattle, Washington: Oregon Department of Kick Ass
http://www.odoka.org
8pm, NW Film Forum 1515 12th Ave

 CHARISMATIC MEGAFAUNA W/ LIVE FILM SCORE & MEDUSA SMACK
  Two new films by Vanessa Renwick, one being Charismatic Megafauna with a
  live score by cellist Lori Goldston and electric guitarist Dylan
  Carlson, both of Earth, vocalist Jessika Kenney and percussionist Greg
  Campbell. http://nwfilmforum.org/live/page/calendar/2197 "This is a new
  piece I made with the jaw dropping cellist Lori Goldston. It is 50
  minutes long and consists of footage that was shot by biologists during
  the wolf capture (in Canada) and reintroduction in to the USA in the mid
  90's. There also is 16mm footage that I shot when I lived in Chicago in
  the early 80's with a wolfdog. "This piece gives you a behind the scenes
  look at the practice known as "Wildlife Management." "I have been making
  a big piece on the wolf reintroduction for 12 years now, and this is the
  third wolf related video installation or movie I have made out of the
  subject matter, along the way to completing the huge flick, The Land
  Piranhas. This is the first piece that I included humans in, and
  although I am all for the wolf reintroduction, watching all the
  manipulation and processing that we humans are doing to these animals
  makes me feel a bit like, ALIEN INVASION!!!!! Also, the footage of my
  wolfdog included in this piece...why do people have wolfdogs?... so out
  of place in the landscape. the landscape that we manage to death.....
  There are no words spoken in this film. There is a small snippet of it
  here, as well as more info on the musicians."
  http://www.lorigoldston.com/charismatic-megafauna/ There also is a
  little more on it here:
  http://urbanhonking.com/plazm/2012/05/02/transformation-with-vanessa-ren
  wick/ The other piece, Medusa Smack is a meditation on jellyfish with a
  tripped out score by Tara Jane ONeil. A little more info and a preview
  of it here: http://www.odoka.org/the_work/medusa_smack/

-----------------------
THURSDAY, JUNE 14, 2012
-----------------------

6/14
Austin, TX: Experimental Response Cinema
http://www.hi-beam.net/erc
7pm, Salvage Vanguard Theater, 2803 Manor Road

 URBAN OVERLOAD + SERDAR'S 5 SOLIDS
  Experimental Response Cinema and the New Media and Sound Summit (NMASS)
  present an evening of kinetic cinema, with multiple 16mm projector loops
  and musique-concrete video feeds meshing into a frenetic infrastructure
  of visual and auditory overload. Loosely themed around the idea of
  penetrating and surviving inside the seductive toxicities of the urban
  environment, the program features work by Austin artists Caroline
  Koebel, Rick Reed and Scott Stark, a special 16mm projector performance
  by Ekrem Serdar, and many surprises. NOTE: admission by festival pass
  only, $50 for 4 days, more than 30 events. See New Media Art and Sound
  Summit: http://nmassfest.org/ for details.

6/14
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 PM, 1200 N. Alvarado St. (at Sunset)

 ROBERT NELSON TRIBUTE SCREENING #1
  To celebrate the passing of the inimitable Robert Nelson (1930–2012),
  Mark Toscano and Echo Park Film Center will be presenting multiple
  programs of Bob's work, beginning with two Nelson films which have not
  been seen together in decades, despite that being Bob's original
  intention. The Suite California films were originally intended as a much
  longer, multi-part travelog throughout California. Bob completed two
  parts, covering Southern California and the Bay Area, and the results
  are formally inventive and highly affecting, functioning as travelogs
  that ultimately trace the vast and unpredictable area between a rich
  personal reading of a place and the place itself. Although both works
  feature Bob's characteristic brilliant humor throughout, they are also
  deeply reflective and rich with unexpected, revelatory insight about his
  own experience of his home state. SUITE CALIFORNIA STOPS & PASSES PART
  1: TIJUANA TO HOLLYWOOD VIA DEATH VALLEY (1976, b/w & color, sound,
  46min.) SUITE CALIFORNIA STOPS & PASSES PART 2: SAN FRANCISCO TO THE
  SIERRA NEVADAS & BACK AGAIN (1978, b/w & color, sound, 48min.)

6/14
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 M.M. SERRA PROGRAM
  MM Serra is an experimental filmmaker, curator, author, and Executive
  Director of the Film-Makers' Cooperative, the world's oldest distributor
  of independent media. Her most recent piece, BITCH BEAUTY, premiered at
  the 2011 New York Film Festival, and her other films have screened at
  the Whitney, the Pompidou, and the Berlin International Film Festival.
  Titillating, sumptuous, and always subversive, Serra's short films focus
  on alternative cultures and intimate moments. They are simultaneously
  eye-opening and awe-inducing. Whether creating documentary portraits or
  colorfully dynamic exposés, Serra never fails to go where you would
  least expect. This career-spanning program will feature the world
  premiere of a new video about the Lower East Side as well as a special
  sneak-preview of a work-in-progress. "Her cinema is marked by a lush
  sensuality, a concern for light, play, and artfully woven soundtrack."
  –Barbara Hammer, YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW, CALIFORNIA WOMEN ARTISTS EYE
  ETC. (1982, 2 minutes, 16mm) Serra's first acknowledged film, shot on
  vacation in Hawaii, explores the light, colors, and sensuous movement of
  the Hawaiian culture. FIVE FILMS (NYC/NIGHTFALL/FRAMED/PPI/TURNER)
  (1987, 11 minutes, 16mm) "In these five films, created over a five-year
  period, MM Serra emerges as a lyric poet filmmaker with a vividly
  different eye and ear. … Mysterious, elliptical, extremely slim, and
  delicate in their making – yet bursting with energy – these films seem
  to elaborate a particularly feminine aesthetic of sensuality and
  pleasure." –PARABOLA ARTS STASIS SERIES I & II (STASIS I. STILL LIFE;
  STASIS II. PAPA'S GARDEN) (1991, 6 minutes, 16mm) Using Pixelvision
  video transferred to 16mm film, these works map the visual space of
  emotional investigation. SOI MEME (1995, 6 minutes, 16mm) Sound
  composition by Zeena Parkins. Erotic dance performance by Goddess
  Rosemary. Peggy Ahwesh & MM Serra NOTES FROM THE LOWER EAST SIDE (THE
  VIEW FROM LUDLOW STREET) 2010, ca. 30 minutes, video. Camera by Angela
  Christlieb. World Premiere! Experimental documentary filmed over a
  two-year period in the L.E.S. includes such personalities as Clayton
  Patterson, performance artist Penny Arcade, Anthology's own Jed
  Rapfogel, and other amazing HOWL Fest personalities. DARLING
  INTERNATIONAL (1999, 22 minutes, 16mm, b&w) Collaboration with Jenn
  Reeves. An exploration of sexual fantasies of a NY metal worker. "An
  evocative work whose sexual sadomasochistic scenario, grainy visual
  texture, and layered soundtrack render it highly tactile, fairly begging
  to be touched." –Shannon Kelly, SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL ART PARADE (2007,
  5 minutes, video) "In ART PARADE the Karen Black girls show beauty is in
  the eye of the beholder. The female form, big hair, and suggestive
  movements attract and fascinate us and the question of gender can be an
  illusion or for some still very tantalizing. I liked the use of strong
  color. It reminded me in nature insects use color to attract. In this
  film the color intensifies the [female masquerade] and makes [it] more
  alluring." –Diane Leon CHOP OFF (2008, 6 minutes, video) "Exposes the
  dark, fearful recesses of the human psyche by filming the body
  modification of performance artist R.K. Literally risking 'life and
  limb', R.K.'s body is his medium and amputation is his art. The very act
  of filming him often stimulates a cascading range of emotions, from
  disgust to fear to dread." –TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL "Please please show
  this film! It's unique, it's real, it's not like any other film. What
  one sees in it cannot be seen anywhere else. It will shock some, but the
  fact is that there are shocking things in this world and we should know
  it and see it, nothing human should be hidden from knowledge. You made a
  very REAL film about REAL people. One of the most difficult things to do
  in cinema. I congratulate you." –Jonas Mekas BITCH-BEAUTY (2011, 7
  minutes, video) An experimental documentary profiling the life of Anne
  Hanavan, whose experiences as part of the underground scene in the East
  Village of the 1980s paralleled those of now-deceased actor and
  screenwriter Zoë Tamerlis Lund (BAD LIEUTENANT). Using Hanavan's films,
  performances, readings, and music, as well as footage from Lund's work,
  BITCH-BEAUTY is an intense seven-minute time capsule of addiction, the
  perils of street prostitution, and subsequent renewal or revival through
  cathartic self-expression. BREATHE DEEP: CRYSTALLUM (2011, ca. 5
  minutes, video) Work-in-progress. An experimental portrait of the
  Goddess of Crystallum, Katherine Bauer, profiling her creative
  engagement with death and rebirth through the crystallization of
  roadkill. Total running time: ca. 105 minutes.

6/14
New York, New York: Millennium Film Workshop
http://www.millenniumfilm.org/
8pm, 66 East 4th Street

 RECENT WORKS BY GRAHAME WEINBREN
  The program includes several works screening for the first time ever.

---------------------
FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2012
---------------------

6/15
Austin, TX: Experimental Response Cinema
http://www.hi-beam.net/erc
7:00pm, Salvage Vanguard Theater, 2803 Manor Road

 STEVE COSSMAN: DIRECT-ER'S CUTS
  Experimental Response Cinema and NMASS present: - Direct-er's Cuts,
  presented by Steve Cossman, is a program of films made using various
  direct film making techniques. Direct film making encompasses various
  camera-less methods (such as scratching, painting and masking) through
  which a film maker produces and alters images by directly manipulating
  the surface of the film frame. The program will include a rare print
  (courtesy of film historian Cecil Starr) of one of the germinal works of
  direct film making: Len Lye's 1958 animation Free Radicals. The program
  will conclude in a question and answer session with artist Steve
  Cossman. 40 min - Ancestors, 2012, 16mm, silent 4 min 20 sec,
  Hand-painted Leader with Adhered Overlays, Douglas Urbank - " This 16 mm
  film is made from scans of old photographs of unidentified ancestors of
  mine from a box that came into my sister's possession after our mother
  died. I have adhered their images to leader film, cutting and blending
  their features together by hand and adding color, patterns and bits of
  text from old letters. " D.U. - 40,mov, 2012, 16mm, sound, 0 min 40 sec,
  Photocopied rubbings and clear tape. - Devon Damonte - "Rubbings of the
  historic Moviola editing machine from Portland, OR, NW Film Center's
  School of Film are animated by camera-less methods using only
  photocopies and adhesive tape onto 16mm film leader. Inspired by NWFC's
  40 second movies project, this is exactly 40 seconds long, 960 frames of
  picture. The variations in grid square size is the result of the
  Moviola's metal foot pedal being worn down in the editing of countless
  movies. This evidence of millions of miles of film footage, lovingly cut
  by scores of editors is recast upon wings of light via crotchety
  projection contraptions in wishing NWFC all the best for the next 40
  years, and beyond . . ." D.D. - Fe, 2010, 16mm, silent 3 min 00 sec,
  High contrast photo-grams, hand-processed and solarized, Eric Stewart,
  Photo-grams of magnets in a magnetic field. - Pillager, 2011, 16mm
  sound, 7 min 00 sec, Hand-processed and bleached. - Joshua Lewis, A
  document of aggressive and proximate manipulations of competing
  photographic reactions. - A Joy, 16mm sound 6 min 00 sec, Colored
  acetate, patterned contact paper and ink. - Jodie Mack, A collaboration
  with Four Tet for Everything Ecstatic (Domino, 2005). - Free Radicals,
  1958/1979, 16mm sound 4 min 30 sec, 16mm black leader, scratched. - Len
  Lye, Begun in 1958 and completed in 1979, Lye made the film by directly
  scratching the film stock. The resulting "figures of motion"
  are set to music by the Bagirmi tribe of Africa. - GUMS, 2012, 16mm
  sound 3 min 00 seconds, Digital laser printer with optical sound. -
  Aaron Vinton, A crunch of digital imagery married to the analog surface,
  GUMS creates its own optical track in high-con graphics. - TUSSLEMUSCLE,
  2007-2009, 16mm sound 5 min 14 sec, 16mm 7,000 Viewmaster stereoscopic
  stills and splicing tape. - Steve Cossman, The work presented is a
  reflection on humanity's ecological relationship and the ritual of
  restoration. Jacob Long of Earthen Sea created the score. - NOTE: NMASS
  festival passes are $50 for 4 days, with over 30 events by dozens of
  artists. See http://nmassfest.org for details.

6/15
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art & Pleasure Dome
http://www.pdome.org
8pm, Cinecycle, 129 Spadina Ave. (down the lane)

 THE BEAUTY IS RELENTLESS: THE SHORT MOVIES OF EMILY VEY DUKE AND COOPER
 BATTERSBY BOOK LAUNCH & SCREENING,  EMILY VEY DUKE & COOPER BATTERSBY, IN
 PERSON!
  Please join us to watch three strange and wicked video wonders from
  Emily and Cooper. They'll be here in person to dish the inside scoop, as
  well as signing copies of their new book The Beauty Is Relentless,
  edited by Mike Hoolboom and published by Museum of Contemporary Canadian
  Art and Pleasure Dome. $10 Admission price includes the all-colour book!
  The Beauty Is Relentless: The Short Movies of Emily Vey Duke and Cooper
  Battersby In this collection of scripts, creative writings and critical
  missives, their word smart blend of home spun animation, bedroom pop
  philosophy songs, and glam personas by the galore get the full
  treatment. Imagine threesomes, daddy's porn, fame, and the importance of
  animals served up on a privateTV station. The book is both smartful and
  stylish, featuring Electric Animal author Akira Lippit on the couple,
  Czech film scientist Andrea Slovakova, video legends Tom Sherman and
  Monique Moumblow, music writer Terence Dick, queer avatar Sholem
  Kristalka and video dad Steve Reinke. Novelists Claudia Dey and Kyo
  Maclear lend wit and grace. There are also a pair of fully illustrated
  video scripts, a hilarious tell-all interview with writer pal Sara
  Hollenberg, a suite of unpublished writings by Duke (including I Hate
  Orgasms) and a collection of commissioned artist's pages. 8 pm Video
  programme followed by outdoor reception: The New Freedom Founders; I Am
  a Conjuror 26 minutes 2005 Being Fucked Up 10 minutes 2001 Beauty Plus
  Pity 15 minutes 2009

-----------------------
SATURDAY, JUNE 16, 2012
-----------------------

6/16
Chicago, Illinois: Eyeworks Festival of Experimental Animation
http://www.eyeworksfestival.com/
1:30 pm, Columbia College Chicago, 1104 S. Wabash Ave.

 DOUBLE VISION: COMICS & ANIMATION
  The Eyeworks Festival of Experimental Animation is excited to present a
  program of short animation work as part of the Chicago Alternative
  Comics Expo (CAKE.) Titled "Double Vision: Comics and Animation," this
  program features a series of strange, fun, and beautiful films from
  artists who fuse the two media in unexpected and compelling ways. Half
  of the pieces in this program are made by comics artists who also make
  animation (Mahler, Larsson, Dery, McManus, Beaty and Shaw.) Also
  included are works from animators who make formal or conceptual
  references to comics in their films (Gruber, Trainor, Sweetvittles,
  O'Reilly), and works made through collaborations (Cruikshank, working
  with Kim Deitch; and Lockhart, working with Marc Bell). Jim Trainor, Jo
  Dery, Nate Beaty, Amy Lockhart and Marc Bell will be present to discuss
  their work in a Q&A after the program. Program lineup: Nicolas Mahler -
  Mystery Music. 2009, Austria, 5:00; Stefan Gruber - Both Worlds. 2011,
  USA, 10:17; Peter Larsson - The People and the Whale. 2008, Sweden,
  5:47; Sally Cruikshank - Quasi at the Quackadero. 1975, USA, 9:57; Amy
  Lockhart - The Collagist. 2009, Canada, 2:00; Jo Dery - Chapter 3. 2012,
  USA, 2:13; Jim Trainor - Harmony. 2004, USA, 12:00; Jesse McManus - Buoy
  Boy. 2008, USA, 2:00; Trixy Sweetvittles - La Mujer Lagartija. 1996,
  USA, 4:00; Nate Beaty - Warble and Bleat. 2012, USA, 1:30; Dash Shaw -
  The Unclothed Man in the 35th Century AD. 2009, USA, 7:42; David
  O'Reilly - Please Say Something. 2009, Ireland/Germany, 10:00; total
  runtime: 72:26 Eyeworks Festival of Experimental Animation presents
  "Double Vision: Comics & Animation" - Curated by Lilli Carré & Alexander
  Stewart - Chicago Alternative Comics Expo (CAKE) - Saturday, June 16,
  2012, 1:30-3:00 pm - Columbia College's Ludington Building, 1st Floor
  Conway Stage, 1104 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago Free and open to the public
  www.cakechicago.com www.eyeworksfestival.com

6/16
Houston, Texas: Aurora Picture Show
http://www.aurorapictureshow.org
8pm, 2442 Bartlett Street

 DIRECT-ER'S CUTS FILMS CREATED BY DIRECT-FILMMAKING METHODS
  Working the surface of the celluloid, these films have been physically
  cut, scratched, taped, dyed, bleached, and optically printed to create a
  moving image on screen. All films presented are film prints on 16mm.
  Included in this program is Steve Cossman's work on film TUSSLEMUSCLE,
  assembled from over 7,000 individual view-master reel cells.
  Hand-spliced together into a linear film strip over the course of three
  years, the film transforms Kodachrome flora from musical and numerical
  pattern into visual rhythm.

6/16
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 PM, 1200 N. Alvarado St. (at Sunset)

 HOW TO BE A HOMOSEXUAL: FILMS OF ROGER JACOBY
  "HOW TO BE A HOMOSEXUAL began, said Jacoby, as 'excerpts from a
  compilation journal work begun in 1979. It is an ironic title - there's
  nothing sexually explicit about the film.' But the film is richly
  sensual.... In every scene, the emulsion captures the images, enhances,
  then betrays, overpowers and destroys them, as the patterns and color
  reshape the filmed reality into a different landscape." - Kathleen
  Tyner, Cinematograph. Works to be screened on 16mm: How to Be a
  Homosexual Parts 1 & 2 and Aged in Wood. $5

6/16
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
4:45 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: CONRAD/JACOBS & FLEISCHNER PROGRAM
  Tony Conrad THE FLICKER 1966, 30 minutes, 16mm, sound. Mathematical and
  rhythmical orchestration of white and black frames. & Ken Jacobs & Bob
  Fleischner BLONDE COBRA 1959-63, 35 minutes, 16-to-35mm blow-up.
  Featuring Jack Smith. Preserved by Anthology, with the generous support
  of the Film Foundation, the National Film Preservation Foundation, Simon
  Lund and Cineric, Inc. "BLONDE COBRA is an erratic narrative – no, not
  really a narrative, it's only stretched out in time for convenience of
  delivery. It's a look in on an exploding life, on a man of imagination
  suffering pre-fashionable Lower East Side deprivation and consumed with
  American 1950s, 40s, 30s disgust. Silly, self-pitying, guilt-strictured
  and yet triumphing – on one level – over the situation with style…
  enticing us into an absurd moral posture the better to dismiss us with a
  regal 'screw off.'" –K.J. Total running time: ca. 70 minutes.

---------------------
SUNDAY, JUNE 17, 2012
---------------------

6/17
Los Angeles, California: Filmforum
http://www.lafilmforum.org/
7:30pm (box office opens 6:30, doors open 7), Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian, 6712 Hollywood Blvd.

 L.A. FILMFORUM PRESENTS NIGHTWATCHING, BY PETER GREENAWAY – LOS ANGELES
 PREMIERE!
  Filmforum is happy to bring the Los Angeles premieres of two Peter
  Greenaway films, with imported 35mm prints! The first, Rembrandt's
  J'Accuse, is on June 3, and the second, Nightwatching, is on June 17.
  The two are closely related, fictional and documentary interpretations
  of Rembrandt and the painting The Night Watch. Nightwatching,
  Greenaway's fictional foray into art-history detecting, was made a year
  before the more spare Rembrandt's J'Accuse. Tickets: $10 general; $6
  students/seniors; free for Filmforum members. Available at Brown Paper
  tickets: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/249754

6/17
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
5:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 ESSENTIAL CINEMA: EGGELING & CAVALCANTI PROGRAM
  Viking Eggeling SYMPHONIE DIAGONALE 1924, 8 minutes, 35mm. & Alberto
  Cavalcanti RIEN QUE LES HEURES 1928, 52 minutes, 35mm. A "city symphony"
  interweaving documentary, experimental, and narrative elements that
  provide vivid images of Paris in the mid-1920s. Total running time: ca.
  65 minutes.

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

The weekly listing is also available online at Flicker:
http://www.hi-beam.net