[Frameworks] Looking to buy ALL 16mm film

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Fri Jun 22 20:02:55 CDT 2012

There used to be a good market for short ends.... you could call up Rafik
or Film Emporium and say "What 16mm can you give me for four cents a foot
today?" and get something useful.

With the demise of 16mm theatrical production, there are very few 16mm
short ends available now, and what is available is nearly as expensive
as new stock (usually more expensive than the Kodak student price).

Interestingly enough, because there's still a lot of 35mm production going
on and because the demand for 35mm short ends is smaller, you can often
get 35mm short ends for substantially less than 16mm.  I've been shooting
an increasing amount of stuff with a 35mm Eyemo just because the stock is
cheaper now.

You can still call Film Emporium today or look on their website and see
what they have for sale, but you won't find a lot of people today with a
bunch of short ends sitting around in the fridge anymore..  and the folks
who do have them know that they can sell them to Film Emporium for good
money, sadly.
--scott