[Frameworks] homemade video copies of 16mm

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 24 00:13:45 CDT 2012

If you plan to work on these films from your homemade HD video transfers, you do NOT want to transfer them to 29.97 fps via a telecine projector. The resulting footage will be filled with blended frames making editing difficult.

Instead find a cheap used HD camcorder that does 24P -- lots of Canons do this. You could find one that won't record to tape  (broken transport) and just record to computer via FireWire. It will probably cost less than getting a new projector since a conventional projector will do (won't be perfect, you may get occasional frame drift) but it will be better than a telecine projector by far.

If all you want are rough viewing copies then telecine at 29.97 will be ok.  But don't let the fact you own a particular Sony camcorder determine how you make these rough copies.

Good luck!