[Frameworks] Kuchar on the Oscars

gregg biermann mubbazoo at optonline.net
Sat Mar 3 09:32:54 CST 2012

The other thing here is that George's position on the mainstream
commercial cinema was not purely oppositional -- that there is also some
sense of homage to it in his work.  You could even argue that he was
alienated to some degree when it came to the avant-garde film community
-- even as it embraced him. I remember in one of his diary pieces he
documents a little lecture by Ken Jacobs at SFAI that he attended and he
ends up walking out with Ken yelling after him "George, Come back
here!"  Then he ends up at some party in Hollywood sitting on a couch
with Nicolas Cage (or some star like that)  and he ends up feeling
uncomfortably out of place there as well. Cannot remember the title --
sometime around 1991.