[Frameworks] experimential film in the art world

marilyn brakhage vams at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 5 19:50:15 CST 2012

David,

I agree with you that some films definitely need to be seen in the
traditional cinematic context of dark theatre/auditorium and large
projection.  (Though I don't think that 'big' is ALWAYS a necessary
cinematic experience.  Some of my most profound aesthetic experiences
of films have taken place in a living room on a relatively small
screen.)  I am also not endorsing gallery-type film installations for
all films, only for some films.  And I am trying to advocate for it
being done well (which, as Myron's description of the Bruce Conner
show demonstrates, is possible).  I agree that some film installations
(including Brakhage) have been awful.  For me, this has been a
learning process as to what, exactly, I've had to spell out and ask
for. One can't assume anything, and it's a constant struggle. The
increased availability of film works on DVD that you support is also
something I'm fine with, just as long as we do have SOMEWHERE it will
still be possible for the films to be seen in their original form.
That is what I think (and what Erika Balsom was also suggesting, I
believe) may become the proper role of the museums, then -- with some
films shown in galleries (and they can sometimes be isolated in
sections of galleries, in quiet and darkened spaces) and some shown in
museum auditoria.  The difficulty is in getting the museums and
galleries to approach this in a serious and respectful way, not just
presenting us with more of, as you describe it, "the available AV
distraction of everyday life."

Marilyn