[Frameworks] experimential film in the art world

Sandra Maliga neoreal at maliga.com
Tue Mar 6 14:02:32 CST 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/arts/design/juan-downey-the-invisible-architect-at-bronx-museum.html?_r=1&ref=design

Sculptures That Answer Back
‘Juan Downey: The Invisible Architect’ at Bronx Museum

By MARTHA SCHWENDENER
Published: March 1, 2012

"And here you can see the other reason, besides the dearth of photo ops, that Mr. Downey has gotten short shrift in art history: museums do not know how to exhibit video. The installation of Mr. Downey’s mature works in the current show qualifies as a crime against art, since several of them are set up so closely in the back gallery that the audio tracks literally interrupt and cancel each other out. The effect would be comic — the ultimate version of exhibition design as postmodern pastiche — if it weren’t so depressing. This, after all, is the first major survey of Mr. Downey’s work in this country, and to see it mishandled this way is yet another testament to how video, more than 40 years into its life as an art medium, is still treated like the unwanted stepchild of contemporary art."

Insisting that the work be shown effectively is a part of making it work.

-- Sandy Maliga