[Frameworks] digital Bolex - Well, there isnt one.

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:16:08 CDT 2012

> In the behind the scenes video for shooting  'one small step', which they claim to have shot with the prototype, you can see that their shooting with a Prosilica GX2300 machine vision camera.

Well, their 'digital Bolex' would be adding a variety of stuff to that camera, a sort of conversion.

Maybe they should call it a Digital Yoder, move the viewfinder to the side, and put a mount for that SSD 'mag' on the top.

I guess that explains the RAW, too.

Alistair: I get the limitations of AVCHD 4;2:0 etc., but still don't see the point of RAW versus a more limited high quality compression, on the order of ProRes 422 or ProRes 444 (though I know those are Apple proprietary). My point about the DSLR is that for most of what would seem to be their potential customers, the larger sensor and compatibility with 35mm lenses is a fair trade off for the compression, since they want the 35mm selective focus and bokeh for narrative. And their test project is a narrative feature, right? Maybe if all you want to do is that fake 'found footage' genre...  Or will Digital Bolex users be throwing a RedRock on the front to get 35mm lenses on the thing. I mean, what the heck is that monster piece of class in that BTS shot, and it looks likes there's some kind of fairly large adapter between that lens and the Prosilica body that seems more than a mere mechanical mount adapter and might contain some optics???

What do those Prosilica bodies cost?