[Frameworks] Stan Brakhage and the 'philosophers of light'?

Kath O'Donnell aliak77 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:53:12 CDT 2012

hi Richard, if this helps, Brakhage mentions Grosseteste's "The Light
Philosophers" on pages 42 & 43 of Cantrills Filmnotes issue no 21/22 - the
transcription of his "The Text of Light" film in 1974. he talks about a
paragraph, loses track, then comes back to it. & mentions Hollis Frampton
has used the idea/dialogue in his "Zorns Lemma" film. "On Light or The
Ingression of Forms".

there's a footnote on page 42 that mentions Brakhage subsequentlt
discovered that the name quoted by Ezra Pound is a combination of 2
philosophers Erigena & Scotus.

maybe Arthur Cantrill would remember if this note came via a later
conversation or part of the talk.
actually flipping through the article again, there's another mention on
page 36. & possibly more towards the end of the article - I made it to this
section and have been watching the films on youtube & researching, so need
to finish it.